Sign in to follow this  
seek100plus

Stuck bullet in a 300 mag

Ok , here is a update, broke down took it to a gunsmith, I really need my hands and eyes, to continue my hunting LOL,but I have spent alot of time thinking about this , I wonder if the poly tip came off and as I was pressing the bullet in the chamber with the bolt it got caught between the casing and the barrel.I have not yet heard from the gunsmith yet, who knows he might of blew his hand off .Gunsmith told me , he couldnt get to it for a week.

you can screw a barrel out of a rifle fairly easy. put a couple thin boards in a vise and clamp em on the barrel real right and put a wrench on the flats of the action and spin it off. they usually aren't real tight. they are machined to real close tolerances so that when the surfaces mate up, they're tight. you can unscrew the barrel and the case should be exposed so can cut the end off it and push the bullet out and then extract whatever is left of the brass. whatever you do, be real careful. Lark.

Whiskey, Tango, Foxtrot....Over?!?!? Doug, youg can't use terms like "compare their coefficients of thermal expansion" on a public forum. Are you crazy?!?!

Keep us posted Seek- Smakin' any part of loaded $1400 firearm with a hammer is no buenoski......

Ok , here is a update, broke down took it to a gunsmith, I really need my hands and eyes, to continue my hunting LOL,but I have spent alot of time thinking about this , I wonder if the poly tip came off and as I was pressing the bullet in the chamber with the bolt it got caught between the casing and the barrel.I have not yet heard from the gunsmith yet, who knows he might of blew his hand off .Gunsmith told me , he couldnt get to it for a week.

Oh good! Your alive! ;) let us know what happens.

you can screw a barrel out of a rifle fairly easy. put a couple thin boards in a vise and clamp em on the barrel real right and put a wrench on the flats of the action and spin it off. they usually aren't real tight. they are machined to real close tolerances so that when the surfaces mate up, they're tight. you can unscrew the barrel and the case should be exposed so can cut the end off it and push the bullet out and then extract whatever is left of the brass. whatever you do, be real careful. Lark.

Birddog I would be very careful about taking 270's advise.

I was able to get some pictures of Larks 270

after he did his CUSTOM smith work on it.

After he unscrew a Perfect tack driving 7MM-08 barrel

and replaced it with a marginal 270.

post-1778-1219881665_thumb.jpg

I am pretty proud of his scope mounting system

Since I grew up in the hills myself

post-1778-1219882195_thumb.jpg

Lark is a very learn'nt man and pays attention

to what the new fangled hunter are doing.

His time spent adding windage and elevation devises

should make him a much better shot

with his failing eyes

post-1778-1219882509_thumb.jpg

Mike, its SHOT, and where in the world did you get those pictures?! Those are fantastic!!! However, I would step up from the Tasco.

Heating it should not work well since the copper bullet will expand faster than the steel barrel.

Besides blowing it up!

A friend of mine bought a muzzleloader from a guy and wanted to superclean it. He couldn't get the breech plug out so he put it in a vice and took a torch to it to heat it up--BANG Just missed a $700 fence charger.

Mike, its SHOT, and where in the world did you get those pictures?! Those are fantastic!!! However, I would step up from the Tasco.

:lol: Don't tell me

Tell the big guy who bought his wife a pair of shoes

and let her get a drivers license

Well, guys it is done and $150 .00 later,we gave birth to a clean barrel.I got the call today at 4:30 p.m, I am clear to pick up my baby.Gunsmith think's that I used a old casing that was not shot out of my gun, when the bullet got stuck , there was way to many wack's to knock it out , compressed the case so much that the powder expanded the case into the barrel.Surgery began at 9:00 am and after the barrel was removed and a small gear puller was used ,after flooding the barrel over night with oil down the barrel and to soak the powder for safety reason , the bullet finally pulled free after three hours.

I am really concered ,about the gun now ,after all the truama, was the barrel put back to the right tolrance , will it shoot still,will it jam again, these are big question, I will think before I pull the trigger again.I have to get my baby back out there ,I have reloaded brand new cases and ready to get back on the trigger to see what happens.

The question of the day is ,should I take my gun to a reputable gunsmith and have him tear the gun back down again and re bluebrint the whole action and barrel over again.I am only concerned, because this gunsmith is not very known for building long range shooters and I was not inpressed with his shop ,his place looked like my son's bedroom and I have always heard a great gunsmith you can tell by his shop and his tools ,were thrown every where like my 16 old neighbor working on is car.I am thankful he got the bullet out , but still concered.

I would suggest that you try it with a load that you know performs (not one of the hottest you have tried). Mike the base of several of your cartridges just in front of the web. You might also measure the length of a few resized cases from the same lot. Then, try a few groups to see if the accuracy has suffered. If not, then check again for case head expansion by remeasuring case diameter at the same point and remeasure the case length to make sure that cases are not stretching excessively. If all is well, just go ahead and resume your load development.

If accuracy has deteriorated significantly (how much is "significant" is up to you), or you see more than a few .001s increase in case head diameter or case length after firing, you can take it to the 'smith who built if for corrections.

Good luck!

Next time try standing the gun barrel up and put some Kroil down the bore and let it set for a dya and then add some more, day 3 put it in a deep freeze and let it sit for several hours then pull it out and try turning the botl and thenpunch the bullet out ! Kroil is awesom stuff!