Sign in to follow this  
Heat

Tenkara?

Anyone ever try it? Seems like an easy way to get on some fish. I don't know that much about it but looks like fun. The reel-less, super light weight, and portability for hiking/backpacking aspects look outstanding. Similar to traditional archery, I am intrigued by this "less is more" style of fishing. Wonder how it works in reality for our little streams and rivers here in AZ? I usually choose a 5'6" UL spinning set up for that but those are not anywhere near as packable or convenient as a tenkara style rod rig. Curious to hear about some experiences from those who have tried it.

I have no direct experience but I have a friend in Washington who is an avid flyfisherman said they are not worth the trouble.

He is an active catch and release guy and said every fish he hooked he had to stress out to get back in with the system and it left him thinking it was more of a fish killer than anything else.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Coach said:

$225 cane pole - why didn't I think of that? 😁

Your cane pole extends to 10 feet, is less than 3 ounces, and fits in your backpack? Cool, tell me where I can cut some of that. 👍

Interesting perspective from your friend Siwash. I am not a fly fisherman and I like to eat trout, so I guess I can see how he might look at it differently than someone coming from spinning gear. I can also see it being a totally different story in a place like the Pacific NW where they have much bigger water.

https://backpackinglight.com/gear-list-tenkara-fly-fishing-in-the-northern-rockies/

I recently read this article that peaked my interest in trying out a tenkara rod as well. Would be awesome to have on backpack hunts where I'm far too weight conscious to carry my normal fly fishing gear.

• Like 1

I have been fishing Tenkara style rods for over five years. I have caught, trout, bass, bluegill and tilapia. A very simplistic and effective way to catch fish. My neighbor was out with his about two weeks ago and he was the only catching trout in the stream he was at. He was able to get a better drift of his fly. It gave him more control.

• Like 1

If anybody out there would to give it a try let me know. I four different rods  you could try!