Sign in to follow this  
mattobertin

Arizona trees and shrubs??

There is a page of photos that I supplied for Duwane and Tony's "How to hunt Coues deer book". The photos are of some of the main browse species, but most of the photos are closeups and it may be hard for someone not familiar with the plants to ID them. Boyce thompson arboretum might be a good place actually. My husband works there. Ask for Paul when/if you go.

I have always meant to make a section on deer foods on the main website, but just haven't done it yet.

I think there are photos of deer food in Jim's book, Deer of the Southwest (if I am remembering right).

Amanda

You might go to a used book store like Bookmans and pick up some of these books. they have pictures and drawings of the plants and descriptions for the ordinary person.

A Field Guide to the Plants of Arizona, Helena, Montana: Fountain Press;

Bowers, Janice, 1993, Shrubs and Trees of the Southwest Deserts, Southwest Parks & Monuments Association, Tucson Arizona;

Elmore, Francis, 1976, Shrubs and Trees of the Southwest Uplands, Southwest Parks & Monuments Association, Tucson Arizona;

Parker, Kittie, 1972, An Illustrated Guide to Arizona Weeds, Tucson: University of Arizona Press;

There is a page of photos that I supplied for Duwane and Tony's "How to hunt Coues deer book". The photos are of some of the main browse species, but most of the photos are closeups and it may be hard for someone not familiar with the plants to ID them. Boyce thompson arboretum might be a good place actually. My husband works there. Ask for Paul when/if you go.

I have always meant to make a section on deer foods on the main website, but just haven't done it yet.

I think there are photos of deer food in Jim's book, Deer of the Southwest (if I am remembering right).

Amanda

Amanda,

I know a Paul from BTA I don't know if there is more than one Paul there. Is he the volunteer program coordinator? Just wondering.

Amanda

Amanda,

I know a Paul from BTA I don't know if there is more than one Paul there. Is he the volunteer program coordinator? Just wondering.

That's him!! :)

How do you know him?

Amanda

Amanda

Amanda,

How do you know him?

Amanda

I work for Az State Parks and he came and stayed in our campground last week. I talked to him on the phone and Email but did not get to meet him while he was here.

Small World huh

Amanda

Amanda,

How do you know him?

Amanda

I work for Az State Parks and he came and stayed in our campground last week. I talked to him on the phone and Email but did not get to meet him while he was here.

Small World huh

Thanks for hooking him up, he enjoyed his stay there!

Amanda

Yes, that's coral bean. It's a really neat plant!! The beans are poisonous as I understand it, but some people use them to make necklaces. I think the Apaches say those beans ward off evil/negative thoughts from others.

Link to more info on the plant: http://www.fireflyforest.com/flowers/reds/red08.html

here is a pic of the flower of that plant. I took this pic in the catalinas. Lots of them on the lower slopes there.

post-1-1220279142_thumb.jpg

I was hoping the palmated branch on this plant was sign that I was going to find a coues buck with palmated antlers ,oh well, maybe this year , I have the same unit again .