Sign in to follow this  
mattobertin

Arizona trees and shrubs??

O.K. What happened here, some kind of grasshopper ? maybe beaver beetle ? I dont know . When I first saw this I thought someone with a pocket knife , but after looking closer decided it probaly wasnt a person that did this . post-704-1220450681_thumb.jpg

Looks like what we used to call a "twig girdler" in south Texas--a larval form that eats the cambium in in actively growing mesquite limbs, leaving the distal portion to die and snap off in high winds. I'll try to find a more proper name...

Yep, Ben is right on. It is the mesquite twig girdler, Oncideres rhodosticta . It is a beetle that is about 1/2" long and the larvae develope in the stems.

Kevin

O.K. What happened here, some kind of grasshopper ? maybe beaver beetle ? I dont know . When I first saw this I thought someone with a pocket knife , but after looking closer decided it probaly wasnt a person that did this . post-704-1220450681_thumb.jpg

Very interesting, I will be able to go home and tell my 11 year old how that ring got around those plants like that.....we were out glassing/hunting this weekend and of course he was asking all kinds of questions, and I really didn't have an answer for him on that one......who would have thunk....a twig girdler......