Sign in to follow this  
BASS

Long Range Shooting

Personally I prefer a 140 gr. accubond sitting on top of 82gr. of 7828 SSC coming out of my 7mm STW. I don't have any idea how fast its going, but it gets there just in time to kill the crap out of whatever I shoot it at!!! My thought is, I would rather have an animal with a .28" entry and a .50" exit that is dead FOR SURE (might run a bit if its through the ribs), then risk anything else. Yes you may kill faster with rapid expansion, but why risk it just to see them drop? I like being able to pick up my gun and shoot anything from coyotes (its actually very nice to pelts!) to buffalo without changing bullets. I know none of you would consider going after a buffalo or brown bear with a VLD or ballistic tip, so why get good with a bullet that you can't use for everything, and then have to switch when you decide to go after very large game? I have shot a lot of big bodied ND bucks with 140gr. ballistic tips,(before accubonds came around), and all of them were out scout, actually all of the bullets exited too, sometimes leaving a softball size hole, but I think we owe it to the animal to prepare for a worst case scenario, and use the bullet that will handle that best. If you take out the heart or lungs, even if it is a .5" hole, that animal is dead, 100% of the time, if you dump 1500ft lbs. of energy into his shoulder blade and don't get the lungs (highly unlikely I know, but possible), you're gonna have a bad day, and the animal a much much worse one.

Here's the latest group out of my rifle. It's my new personal best It's three shots right at 0.348 inches at 300 yards! Disregard the foul shot, it wasn't even the same bullet/load. I always fire one shot to foul the barrel after I clean it.

.270 Weatherby Mag

Berger 140 VLD's

68 Grains IMR 7828 SSC

Federal 215's

MV = 3,230 FPS

I've killed an antelope and a mule deer with this load so far this year and have been very impressed with the results. Hopefully I'll be able to put this load to the test again in a couple weeks when I go on my NM Burro Mountian coues hunt.

post-25-1225838084_thumb.jpg