Sign in to follow this  
BASS

Long Range Shooting

So with all this talk about turreted scopes, and long range shots I started thinking about what you all would be using for your custom load? Right now I'm pushing about 2760 fps out of my .300wm 700 action using 180 gr SP Hornady .308s using H4350 powder (lots of it on hand <_< ) its pretty accurate out to about 800 or so. Thats about as far as we can shoot while still proned out where we go shooting. The only problem we're having is judging the wind that far out. Up close where it doesn't matter we can use the wind meter which also gives us a read out of the current temps, and humidity reading, but who know what those factors are across the canyons. :rolleyes: Last night I got an e-mail from a guy in Texas that is going to send me about fifteen of the new Accubond 208 gr. .308s to load up and see how I like them. They are suppose to have a BC of over .5 which I like and they are heavy to punch out some more recoil which I don't like. :lol:

Who knows, maybe next year instead of the 100 yard archery contests at the get togethers we should see who can hit 1K consistantly. :unsure:

My load in my .270 wsm is 63.5 grains of H4831sc, sparked my a F215gm primer, in a wichester case with the 140 accubond (bc of .493) at 3170 FPS. I used to push it at 3250 with 64.5 grains of powder, but backed it down a grain with the same (sub .2's and .3's) accuracy at 100 yards. My best groupings with this gun at longer distances was a 2.1" group at 400, and 3.1" group at 500 yards.

I am undecided on my .257 wby as I am still working on the load for it.

I am pushing 3760 fps. with my Remington Sendaro .300 ultramag. I am using 104 grains of RL25. with 150 grain barnes MRX. I shoot a 3.75 inch group at 500 yards. I can shoot out to 800 yards but my longest shot at game so far is a coues at 500 yards. One shot, one kill. I shot a muley last year at 250 yards in the head.

People like to argue ethics about long range shooting. It all depends on the equipment you have and the practice you put in. It also depends on the conditions, like no wind, target not walking, and what kind of rest you can get. I am not saying I won't miss, but I won't take a shot without the right conditions. I have seen some hunters , who shouldn't even be taking 150 yard shots. Most people who like to argue ethics of long range shooting know nothing about what it takes.

Hawkeye, you for sure hit the nail on the head.

The way I see it, having the ability to take game at 400+ yards is just another stone on your side of the scale to level it out. And of course, some/most people shouldnt be shooting that far because they dont have the practice, or the equipment necessary.

How do you like those MRX bullets? Are they worth the arm and leg Barnes charges for them? I have contemplated weather or not to use them but they are too expensive for my blood!

Hawkeye, you for sure hit the nail on the head.

The way I see it, having the ability to take game at 400+ yards is just another stone on your side of the scale to level it out. And of course, some/most people shouldnt be shooting that far because they dont have the practice, or the equipment necessary.

How do you like those MRX bullets? Are they worth the arm and leg Barnes charges for them? I have contemplated weather or not to use them but they are too expensive for my blood!

Not really. I liked the tip so I bought a bunch. I like them but I don't think they are any better than the tipped tsx. They came out with the tipped tsx after I bought the MRX. I am having great luck with both. My son is using a 176 grain Berger Bullet, and just bought a leupold Mark 4 LR scope and I watched him shoot a 3 inch group at 900 yards. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it.

Heres a load I just cooked up the other day for my 270 Weatherby Mag.

140 grain Berger VLD's

68 Grains IMR 7828 SSC

Federal 215's

I haven't shot it through a chrony yet, but I'd guess it in the neighborhood of 3300 FPS

I'm hopeful to find a little bit of time at the range this next week so I can use these Berger 140's on my Antelope hunt in New Mexico in a couple weeks. I won't have time to do any serious long range load development, but hopefully I'll feel good out to 500 yards or so.

100 yards - 0.28 inch three shot group.

post-25-1220399481_thumb.jpg

Well, I wish I was as knowledgeable about reloading and shooting as you all, but I'm learning as fast as I can! I took my new rifle back to CA to my buddies and they are still working up the perfect load. The muzzlebrake has been installed and I've been told it shoots like a dream now! I started by sending them what they told me traditionally works in "their" .300 Winny's. I bought and shipped 500 rounds of 180gr Nosler Ballistic Tips, Winchester brass and a 5lb jug of RL22. Appearantly my gun doesn't like that combo, so my buddy's just inherited all the stuff I bought! :huh: They have now figured out that my gun DOES like once-fired Federal brass, H4350 and 180gr Accubonds and they have it shooting in the mid .3's at 100yrds! I was excited to hear that, but they are not happy with it yet and are still tweaking it. My buddy's are insane about perfection........ but I'm not complainin'!

I'm sure I'll be on here after I'm done with these elk hunts hammerin' you all with questions so brace yourselves for that! I've already got a shooting range set up near the house which will get well used and will probably have a shooting range set up in my elk units so I can shoot in the middle of the day......I'll just make sure it's close to where everyone else is hunting! :lol: :lol: :P JUST KIDDING!!! JIM>

Jimmy, If you want to step down to 165's, my 300 really liked 72 grains of IMR 4350 with a 165 sierra boattail. I don't recommend using the boattails anymore due to them exploding once they enter the animal. I was pushing them right around 3250 per second. See if they might want to try the Hornady SST's. David

I'm sure that works fine David, but my buddy's are VERY stuck in their ways....I was actually surprised they swapped me out of the Nosler BTips! They are shooting those with incredible accuracy out to 1000 yards in guns identical to mine, but obviously no two guns are exactly alike, so I'm guessing Accubonds will be what I'm stuck with. I don't have the time to get serious about this reloading stuff, but I do have the time to get aquainted with my gun so it works perfectly having guys reload for me that know exactly what my gun likes and doesn't like. I just kinda feel like a "cheater" becuase I'm not putting in my homework and effort with perfecting the loads myself. Oh well.....I'm still not complainin'! I did find out that my gun is the 112th custom rifle built by one of my buddies......he knows a little about it I think! :P

Jimmy, If you want to step down to 165's, my 300 really liked 72 grains of IMR 4350 with a 165 sierra boattail. I don't recommend using the boattails anymore due to them exploding once they enter the animal. I was pushing them right around 3250 per second. See if they might want to try the Hornady SST's. David

IMO, SST's are softer than any Sierra boattail. Neither of those two bullets are bonded however.

Jim, dont worry about those Accubonds, they are a fantastic bullet. I have seen around 8 or so head of game taken with them from 20 feet, to 531 yards... All results have been the same minus my headshot! (that one got kinda nasty!)

Jim I shoot accubonds through my .280 and 270 WSM. I have seen elk, antelope and deer go down with them and have never once been anything but completly satisfied. Great ballistics, weight rentention and controlled expansion. With a .308 180 grain accubond you should be good for anything in North America. Especially shooting .3's.

Last year I shot 3 deer, 1 antelope, and 1 javelina with 130 grain sierra game kings with a muzzle velocity of 3,550 fps. All 5 animals dropped in there tracks, and with the exception of the javelina none of the bullets exited the animal. The year before I shot a deer and a javelina with the same bullets and same results. I'm just curious why it would be considered a negative to have the bullet "explode" inside an animal and turn the chest cavity into soup? I personally look for a bullet that will explode inside the animal. That way the animal eats 100% of the bullets remaining kenetic energy, and in my experience never even moves another step. In my opinion they're performing perfectly.

Not trying to pick a fight, just curious how you came to this conclusion?

Heres a load I just cooked up the other day for my 270 Weatherby Mag.

140 grain Berger VLD's

68 Grains IMR 7828 SSC

Federal 215's

I haven't shot it through a chrony yet, but I'd guess it in the neighborhood of 3300 FPS

I'm hopeful to find a little bit of time at the range this next week so I can use these Berger 140's on my Antelope hunt in New Mexico in a couple weeks. I won't have time to do any serious long range load development, but hopefully I'll feel good out to 500 yards or so.

100 yards - 0.28 inch three shot group.

post-25-1220399481_thumb.jpg

Nice group!!

Amanda