Sign in to follow this  
Eagle Eye

Kiabab Archery

Seems i didn't get drawn for some odd reason even though there was left over tags, but what happened to the rest of you people that did get drawn? Where are the pictures of your bucks? Heard it was a good year up there from a few people, lots of big bucks... shots missed and some hittin the ground.

I was kinda wondering the same thing.... I saw a few bucks from the Strip but nothing from the Kiabab.

I went up opening weekend and spent a ton of hours on the roads and hiking in the canyons, lots of places that nobody would hike to, and I didn't see crap.

I found a few sets of really good buck tracks, but after following them for a mile in a straight path I decided they were't stopping anytime soon.

I was really disappointed to say the least. No sign hardly anywhere, I saw a few does and a few spikes and two forkies.

Monday morning I saw 8 Giants running across a large field and sadly so did three trucks full of guys who drove right up behind them, jumped out and took off running after them . . . umm hello guys!

I never took a shot.

Saw more coyotes than deer.

Saw two blinds on every tank.

Was hiking my boots off finding no sign anywhere.

I took my ball and went home.

I know a guy who poked a 183" buck up there though, haven't got the full story yet.

Seems like most of the bucks I have seen killed up there so far have been in the sage areas.

Headache, were the sage bucks on the west side?

I've had shot opportunities on 3 spikes, 2 forks within 35 yards and I just keep passing waiting for an older buck. I've only seen two 4 pointers, and a few 3 pointers but I just can't get a shot opportunity on them, something always goes wrong. Unfortunately, a guy made a bad shot on a buck in one of my favorite spots, so him and his buddy spent two days buggering up the area searching for blood and the buck. I would have done the same and it needed to be done, but it just sucks because they ran off the bachelor heard of nice bucks we were hunting.

I'll be up for 5 more days trying this weekend, so I'm still optimistic.

My brother gave one of his buddies our hunting spot up there and they said they were seeing big bucks everywhere. But they just keep mis judging yardage. I heard from a gal at my work that her husband and son took some two pointers but they too said they were seeing lots of big bucks, but they did say the coyotes were bad this year...

Been lurking here for way too long! Figured now is as good as any time to register and post!

Anyways, I was up on the Kaibab during the Labor Day weekend.

Let me start by saying that I'm used to hunting in the desert for deer, so this experience was a new one for me. I had never been there and didn't do the scouting like I should have, but with the price of gas and about 500 miles to get there, I couldn't. I saw very few bucks. The ones I did see were while driving the roads from camp to the area I wanted to hunt. It was extremely thick vegetation where I was hunting and I'm almost positive that I was moving the deer before I could even see them.

With all the talk about competition for waterholes up there, I chose to ignore them for the most part and tried to still hunt on the tops of ridges with good forage. That turned out to be very unsuccessful for me. I didn't see any bucks while I was out walking. I walked up on one doe practically back at the truck one evening. This was by far the most humbling experience I've had while hunting. I've never gone deer or elk hunting and not seen anything out walking until this trip. I'm not sure if that was due to being there after the opener, with all the tourists, because it was too thick, or because I am a poor woodsman. I don't think my woodsmanship skills are that bad, after all I have done pretty well on elk hunts over the years, always seeing elk and deer when I go out.

Next year I will put in there again for sure. I will go about things a bit different next time. First off, I'm going to scout next year for sure. Also, I'm going to try as hard as I can to find a water source that is not getting any competition from hunters, but still being used by deer and hang my treestand. I'm also going to try a couple of other things to try to attact some deer. Finally, I am going to get some more pointers from experienced and successful hunters on the Kaibab. I don't want anyones honey hole, just some advice on how to find the bachelor groups of bucks without being noticed first. Without really being able to glass from a tripod like I'm used to, I really felt like a fish out of water there. Hopefully next year will be different.

Positive notes: The number of hunters did not seem to be a factor. I didn't see a soul while I was out walking. I hardly saw any vehicles parked while hunters were out in the woods. Most if not all of the other deer hunters I saw were crusing the roads or just driving back and forth. There were also plenty of places to camp, even with all the weekend tourists for Labor Day. The scenery was absolutely breathtaking and the weather sure beats the heck out of Yuma.

Nick

Hey Nick:

Welcome to cw.com! Thanks for posting the summary of your hunt.

I didn't hunt up there this year, but have been up to the Kiabab archery hunting 5 out of the past 7 years. I was in the habit of meeting a buddy from Utah there, and we always had a good time. I'm glad you were not too discouraged given your results. The deer are DEFINITELY there, and after you figure out some special spots and tactics, I know you'll find some success up there.

DO NOT be shy next year, and be sure to PM me prior to starting your scouting. I would be more than happy to share an idea or two on a couple of spots & tactics that have worked for us in the past.

Best regards,

Stan

:)

Welcome to the site Heat. Traveling from Yuma is a long ways and no wonder you didn't do any scouting with the gas prices. Kiabab is one of my favorite places to go, even if i don't bag anything i still have a great time. I been hunting up there quite a bit and know some pretty good spots... some years there hot and some years there not so much, which is good to have backup areas. I have only takin one buck from there, a nice 3x4 but i have had lots of chances but just failed. Thats why i love bow hunting its tough, and when you finally get one, its the best feeling ever. I will be putting in for it first choice next year. I want me another nice muley on the wall. Last two years i been going for coues and doing the same thing this year again.

On the bright side if you don't get one you can always hunt the desert down here in Dec., Jan. Glad to see you on the site. Hope everything is well.

I am not sure where the bucks are hanging out, If I knew, I would be up there stalkin one with my Mathews in hand.

The guy I know who poked the 183 buck shot him in the northern part of the 12E unit.

I am so torn about whether or not to drive my butt back up there and take some more punishment. I have an Archery Bull Elk tag starting sept 12 and I think that may be just a little more exciting.

But I can hear those big bucks callin my name up on the bab. . . . Oh man they torment my soul! Ha ha ha.

Maybe they haven't moved on down just yet??? I have a lot to learn about that unit.

Last year I got lucky with the biggest buck I have ever taken.

http://forums.coueswhitetail.com/forums/in...kaibab&st=0

Maybe I will get another tag in the years to come!

I was kinda wondering the same thing.... I saw a few bucks from the Strip but nothing from the Kiabab.

I thought the kaibab was the strip?

did anyone see any elk up there? I was talking to a buddy and he saw a herd.

I thought the kaibab was the strip?

did anyone see any elk up there? I was talking to a buddy and he saw a herd.

The strip is traditionally the 13 units, while Kaibab is unit 12.

I know of one hunter who shot a cow elk on a depredation tag opening weekend in Kaibab.

I am not sure where the bucks are hanging out, If I knew, I would be up there stalkin one with my Mathews in hand.

The guy I know who poked the 183 buck shot him in the northern part of the 12E unit.

I am so torn about whether or not to drive my butt back up there and take some more punishment. I have an Archery Bull Elk tag starting sept 12 and I think that may be just a little more exciting.

But I can hear those big bucks callin my name up on the bab. . . . Oh man they torment my soul! Ha ha ha.

Maybe they haven't moved on down just yet??? I have a lot to learn about that unit.

Last year I got lucky with the biggest buck I have ever taken.

http://forums.coueswhitetail.com/forums/in...kaibab&st=0

Maybe I will get another tag in the years to come!

Where abouts are you hunting? like which roads? fill free to pm me if you'd like.. i probably wont give you my exact honey hole but i could give you some direction.

I was on the Kaibab for 7 days. Saw lots of deer! over 30 bucks! 10 of which were monster mulies just couldn't close the distance for a shot! I may go back up Sunday! The burns were holding alot of bucks.