Lucky me...new to this group, new to hunting, single female, and unit 42 any sex whitetail any weapon....and surprise surprise, no one wants to bother with whitetail and go with me. I see it's mostly private lands and that pockets of them are found in certain areas only (mostly private lands from what I'm reading). I have a Savage Axis .30-06 I'm practicing with for long distances (also new to shooting but getting tight groupings at least so I'm not worried about that ). I plan to scout the area but need to know where is best, and if there are ANY public lands in 42 that is home to whitetail??? Thanks in advance. 

232249739_10222878802110753_3891848218741900831_n.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PRDATR said:

Welcome. I am not familiar with that area so not much help. Looks like a passable grouping. LOL

Thank you for the thumbs-up :) I saw some posts on 42 back in 2011.  But the animals move so things may have changed :) 

2 hours ago, Ms. Blackwolf said:

Thank you for the thumbs-up :) I saw some posts on 42 back in 2011.  But the animals move so things may have changed :) 

They will be in the same area year after year.

I guess I'll find out. After I scout a few areas and take photos I'll update on what I find out that way. Saw a few pics of Coues in NM posted but maybe it was Texas :) :)

You should download OnX and pay the subscription  you will be able to see all the public land. New Mexico also has deals with private land owners that allow you to hunt ranches around the state.  Good luck, I would give you more info if I had it. But I hunt south and west of your area.

I just did (they're on sale btw) and it's great! I think like maybe 4 others got tags in that area for whitetail so I'm not holding my breath but it's an adventure. Probably no Coues as I misread DNR blog. But Texas whitetail are. If I get a really small one maybe I can pretend it's a Coues lol....Thanks again for good advice.