Crazymonkey

New to long range

FWIW I would get more than one measurement per bullet. I usually get 3-5, using a different bullet from the same box each time, and then use the average, or if one is way off I won't use it in the average. One other thing is that if your having to knock that bullet out of your chamber after you put it into the lands, it might be in there 5-10 thousands, so you take that into consideration with your measurements. Here is what Barnes recommends for a starting seating depth. I have two boxes of the 140 TTSX that I'm not going to use. Send me a PM if you want them for what I paid for them.

Screenshot_20210905-200257.png

Tracking has my brass on its way should get here Friday and with the data from the rifle free bore I should have a much better start at making a better bullet and hopefully a better grouping

Check into Hammer Bullets too.  BC is not the greatest, but every one I have ever loaded is wicked accurate.  And, they are super easy to get.  They usually have them in stock, or will custom cut them when you order.

2 hours ago, lancetkenyon said:

Check into Hammer Bullets too.  BC is not the greatest, but every one I have ever loaded is wicked accurate.  And, they are super easy to get.  They usually have them in stock, or will custom cut them when you order.

Will do .I'm also working on another 7-08 a savage modle 14 for the same hunt with my dad just in case I can't get my group dialed in .

I get it.  I get notifications of "your package was delivered", and I can't WAIT to get home and open up the Brown Santa gift!

Santa delivered some awesome lapua brass .What a upgrade from hornady.Pulled 20 rounds out and ran thru deis to get a couple dents outa the necks but they check out real close on oal only saw just a very small clean up .Deburr and primed waiting for powder .Going to run 4 lots with r17 and start .05 off the lands and then run in .025 at a time for the rest and run barns ttsx 140 gr

Ok I've got a question on loading usually you start light and work up on powder but when your working for the happiest place for seating depth on barns copper would you just run a light charge and run loads at various seating depths to get the sweet spot first then work up powder?

Well ammo is all loaded to run another test and my jeep oil pump is throwing a fit .its a 2012 and keeps getting oil pump codes so no range day for me .looks like ill be crawling under to fix as the stealership is 2700 to fix a 200 dollar part that should only take 3 or 4 hrs.thanks lance I'm looking into hammer bullets I'm going to call and see what they recommend for my setup.O Don't buy a jeep its the most labor intensive car I've ever owned its always got some kinda code on .I'm going back to Toyota

• Like 1

On 9/10/2021 at 4:19 PM, Crazymonkey said:

Santa delivered some awesome lapua brass .What a upgrade from hornady.Pulled 20 rounds out and ran thru deis to get a couple dents outa the necks but they check out real close on oal only saw just a very small clean up .Deburr and primed waiting for powder .Going to run 4 lots with r17 and start .05 off the lands and then run in .025 at a time for the rest and run barns ttsx 140 gr

typically we play with powder charges first to get the load close and to find out the max load.   I always bring the load up to max so I know how close I am to max.   Typically I don't run my loads close to max but I like to know where it is at.    Then we mess with seating depth.    Think of seating depth as a fine tuning and the powder charge as the macro tuning.    So, powder first then seating depth.  

• Like 2

Gotcha on powder first .I would've thought changing seating depth would have an effect on pressure but then I read an article about it and they were saying you can run in quite a bit before it has any effect.it goes against logic but works .you'd think as you move in you decrease case capacity and should see an increase but they say it takes like .250 or so before it matters.THANK YOU GUYS FOR ALL YOU HELP !!hopefully I can get the jeep fixed and get out to shoot

Moving the bullet in will increase pressure.   I've seen it.   It also isn't consistent from load to load.   That is one of the reasons I like to know where my max is at.   I also make sure to use a chronograph for every shot during load development.   You will learn a ton from the chrono.   You will also find many "nodes" for accuracy.   I typically will not be the first node below max.   I like to pick the second node below max......Typically.   Sometimes is will be an even slower node depending on application.