Sign in to follow this  
Chuck

Newly Retired Forester/Bowhunter

:rolleyes: As a recent forester retiree, I find myself with some long-awaited time to bowhunt other states. I would really like to try bowhunting Coues deer in Arizona during January, but don't have a clue as to where to start or go. I was thinking the Coronado National Forest, possibly unit 29, 30A or 35A. I don't expect anyone to give away a "hot" spot - I sure wouldn't. But I would really like to hear of a general location to try. I deer hunt every chance I get in Minnesota - so if any of you want to try my state sometime, I'll return the favor.

You might want to check the Arizona Game and Fish website. Try looking up some of the southern units. Some of the information should help you.

Arizona Griz.

There are lots of coues deer throughout most of the Chiricahua mtns which are in unit 29. If you wanted to bow hunt that unit, it probably is a great one for it. There are several water holes and some large oak trees you could put a stand in.

I hunted both the east and west sides of the chiricahuas and finally killed a deer on the east side by going in around the town of Paradise. During the rifle hunt there are way too many people is the easily accessible country, but during the archery season, I would think you could go anywhere without bumping into a lot of hunters. The East side can be a bit hard to find roads because of lots of private landholdings. But just get a USFS map and take some trips out there and you will figure it out.

On the west side I saw a lot of deer around Rucker Campground. There are some hike-in only areas around there that actually get loaded with hunters in the rifle season, but might be pleasant during the archery season.

Amanda

I have yet to kill a Coues Deer above 75 inches with the Bow but have been close. For the early bow season i would stick to the southern units and hunt water holes away from the road if at all possible but it always seems to me that the good bucks don't come in until well after dark no matter how dry it is. Mule Deer(Carp) aren't as smart or as skitish and you will probably get a chance at them if you can sit there all day. In January the rut is in full swing and i have been using Midwestern tactics; decoy, scent and ratling and have been close but not close enough so far. The Javelina hunters have ruined it for me twice so get far far far from any roads.

Chuck,

These deer will test your skills both mentally and physicaly. Don't give up and don't limit yourself to eastern whitetail tactics. They are quite often very active during the middle of the day. Good luck

Chuck

Duwane Adams will be coming out with a great new book on hunting Coues Deer sometime this month or next. You will be able to buy it off this website. Duwane covers all the units and tactics for Coues Deer and it will be very helpful. Good Luck Jason

Chuck, like Jason said the book will line out general areas within alot of units and give you more info in the time it takes to read the book than you could gain by going on your own learning for a couple years. There are alot of units like 33 up peppersauce canyon road, 36c up any of the ranch roads that allow access and alot of this info is posted on the AZGFD website but will be much more detailed in the book which will be sold or is being sold on this website. The last I was told is the book is at the printers and if there was no delay it will be ready this next week to be mailed out. Amanda may have the latest news but Duwane was told the 18th of August by the printers. order the book, read it and then post questions about any unit you picked and all of us will help where we have some experience.........Allen Taylor..............

You are gonna have a lot of fun bowhunting out here. It will take you a while to get used to the dry climate and the low density of deer - compared to Minnisota.

I have a buddy who came from Mich. I gave him clues about the mule deer in unit 10 and so he found a trail with deer tracks and sat on it for three days and then asked me why I thought no deer came down the trail. He was not even close to a water hole.

I really did try not to laugh as we discussed the radical differences between Ariz. and Mich. deer hunting.

Ariz is extremely challenging - that's what makes it so fun.

Mike

:rolleyes: Thanks to all of you for your advice and help. I won't be able to head out to Arizona until January 4th because of a family event - is the rut still on then? Are water holes still important in January during the rut as they are early in the season? I'm looking forward to just seeing different country and being able to hunt in January when it's 50 below and 3 feet of snow up here! Should be enjoyable! Would it be worth while to hike in a couple miles and "spike camp" for a day or two? Are scrapes, rubs etc. worth hunting as they are up here during the rut? Again, thanks much!

Chuck

I moved out here from Michigan 5 years ago and there is not a better place to live and hunt then Arizona in my opinion. The rut seems to me that it runs from the last week in December through the first two weeks in January. Some of the units will have snow in the higher elevations and might make for a cold spike camp but some of the other hunters on this forum are much more familiar with the units then i am. Me personally, I don't hunt the water holes in January but haven't tried either. I try to glass a buck then TRY to stalk with-in bow range but i have never seen a tougher animal to stalk. You won't find a more fun and challenging animal to pursue, Good Luck. Jason