Sign in to follow this  
liviustoica

36B Hunting Tips??

ask firstcoueswas80, he guides down in that country :rolleyes:

seriously, there are Coues all over that country. I spend around $150/month in fuel scounting down there starting in July.

Put in a little time if you are able to, if not then wing it. You will figure it out.

This might be worth checking

31* 22.986' N

111* 10.099' W

thanks for sending me to algeria red rabbit, I'll keep that hunt in mind for next year. In the hot summer, I plan on taking my first red rabbit i can find there ;)

Rookiehunter,

If those coords took you to Algeria, you might need a new Garmin ;) . But is you are offering to take this red rabbit hunting in Africa next summer, let's go a little further south than Algeria :D

Rookie, I have hunted 36b for years (about 8 or 9) Alot of the areas that I hunt, I have been showed by other people who have hunted there for much longer than I have. I made the mistake of publicly saying one of the areas and it dang near cost me some long time friendships. Forgive us if we do not jump at the chance to offer up "where the deer are."

Like has been said, take some time and learn the unit. It is a VERY large unit with ALOT of deer. Take Redneck for example, the day that he was scouting, he stumbled into me in one of my good areas. It can be that easy sometimes. If you take the time to sit behind some binos you WILL find some deer.

PS, calling out a high standing member like RedRabbit is NOT a good way to get info!

PS, calling out a high standing member like RedRabbit is NOT a good way to get info!

+1

Nice job guys it only took an hour and 20 minute to run the e-scouter off...does anyone know what the record is?

No biggie Casey. I'm already looking at new rifles for next summer's Kudu hunt. If you plug in those coordinates, it'll be where I tried to get you and Gabe to go last year.

RR

Rookie, I have hunted 36b for years (about 8 or 9) Alot of the areas that I hunt, I have been showed by other people who have hunted there for much longer than I have. I made the mistake of publicly saying one of the areas and it dang near cost me some long time friendships. Forgive us if we do not jump at the chance to offer up "where the deer are."

CASEY

KIND OF LIKE GRASS TANK?

CASEY

KIND OF LIKE GRASS TANK?

I would guess that if anyone spent five minutes with a good map of the area they would have no trouble figuring out what tank you are talking about.

Guys, this guy seems alright, at least he can take a joke. Unit 36B probably has Coues in 100 % of the unit. Where you hunt would depend on your style. I think there is significantly less deer than the early 90s and I believe the success rates would back that assumption up. Early 90s around 30%. Today lucky to hit above 20% for all early hunts. I guess you could say, it is perfectly managed for opportunity now. If you believe these stats you basically have a 1 in 5 chance of shooting a deer. A good start in scouting would be just to drive Ruby road which transverses the unit. Take side roads that look interesting. It really doesn't matter because there is coues every where. Even if you don't see them they are there! Read all the instruction about hunting coues on the home page of this sight and Arizona game and fish unit report. Plus keep being persistent on this site. Everyone thinks they are a hunting expert and they are just dying to give you a great place to hunt. You just have to ask the right way. All my spots are from e-scouting, no easier way to hunt really.

Good luck,

Bob

ps I would re-enroll on the sight and have a sob story about getting your near sighted cousin with a bad kidney infection their first buck, some expert would probably send out their 19 year old daughter to guide you.

Guys, this guy seems alright, at least he can take a joke. Unit 36B probably has Coues in 100 % of the unit. Where you hunt would depend on your style. I think there is significantly less deer than the early 90s and I believe the success rates would back that assumption up. Early 90s around 30%. Today lucky to hit above 20% for all early hunts. I guess you could say, it is perfectly managed for opportunity now. If you believe these stats you basically have a 1 in 5 chance of shooting a deer. A good start in scouting would be just to drive Ruby road which transverses the unit. Take side roads that look interesting. It really doesn't matter because there is coues every where. Even if you don't see them they are there! Read all the instruction about hunting coues on the home page of this sight and Arizona game and fish unit report. Plus keep being persistent on this site. Everyone thinks they are a hunting expert and they are just dying to give you a great place to hunt. You just have to ask the right way. All my spots are from e-scouting, no easier way to hunt really.

Good luck,

Bob

ps I would re-enroll on the sight and have a sob story about getting your near sighted cousin with a bad kidney infection their first buck, some expert would probably send out their 19 year old daughter to guide you.

I have a near sighted cousin who has a failing kidney... Can anyone help :D

Rookie,

The Buenos Aires is not a forest. It's mesquite grassland and mostly mule deer country. There are whitetail in the hills on the eastern edge. AG&F's hunting unit report for 36B describes a hunter access point into the San Luis Mtns from Arivaca Rd. Don't expect to see tons of deer, but you could find a big one.

Southeast of the refuge it used to be fairly good in the Fresnal Dam - Lopez Well area, but I haven't been there in years and got a discouraging report a while back. Also, I believe Homeland Security has dug in around Fresnal Dam and you probably can't get too close to there anyway.

Warsaw Canyon has superior numbers of deer but also quite a bit of hunting pressure. Same with California Gulch. There used to be good numbers of deer up behind Pena Blanca Lake, but I haven't been there in several years. In fact, there used to be lots of deer popping their heads up all along Ruby Rd at dawn and dusk, but like someone said, there just isn't the deer in that unit that we had 15 years ago. I don't know why 36B would crash and 33 would continue to hold its numbers, but that's what's happened. I can't believe the illegals would have that much impact. After all, one of the highest Coues densities anywhere used to be along the road up Madera Canyon which is overun with people.

The serious headhunters tend to hunt the more northerly parts of the unit. I'm trying to steer you more toward the higher country in the south.

Ramanote and Peck (if you can get in there under current road conditions) Canyons have a lot of deer.

But the advice Bobbyo and others gave you is what you should concentrate on. Get good glass and a tripod, explore the unit and glass slowly and intensively. There are deer almost everywhere. The trick is finding them when they're in front of you.

The Buenos Aires is not a forest.
- Audsley is right on. Here are a few pics so you can see what it looks like... There is nothing like boots on the ground, Buenos is worth checking out as stated. But the National Guard is dug in like ticks on a hound in that area...

With the weather cooling, it's well worth a trip down prior to the hunt and day of sitting and glassing - that's the way it goes ...

AzP&Y

post-898-1221792989.jpg

post-898-1221793028_thumb.jpg

post-898-1221793163_thumb.jpg

Tip #1- :lol:

Tip #2- :lol: :lol:

Tip #3- :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ok, thank you for your comment, bu you're acting like how one would act when they walked up to your kid and laughed at him for having buggers on his face. totally childish.

then mayb you should wipe the boogers!

I was not being Childesh at all I help people out all the time. Ask around the hunting forums I am one that will help folks out. I used to run my own guide service and know alot about Arizona units. Just not the one you are asking about. My tips were just a ice breaker for you because i have seen people get the rear naked choke over asking the questions you did. Infact i just sent a PM to a guy yesterday on this site that asked about a unit i hunted growing up and most my life. I bet he takes a nice buck of my tips.I for one can not stand kids with snott or bugers on there face. My children know how to blow there own noses and wipe there own snott as well.