Sign in to follow this  
northAZarcher

Unit 22 questions (not hunting spots)

We plan on doing a unit 22 archery hunt in January and hopefully draw a javalina tag also. Have never been in 22 before and wanted to see some new country  so just had a few questions. 

What are the road conditions in the unit?  Are they decent or really rough for the most part.

Is there lots of opportunities for glassing?  From what I remember hearing someone talk about, the north end is a little thicker but unsure. 

Any general info would be helpful on what to prepare for. I plan on getting out a few weekends before but always good to know ahead of time on how I should prep for the trips.  Thx

Go out now<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< 

Road conditions are good. It doesn't get much rain. 95% OF THE UNIT IS "GLASSABLE"

22 is a large unit vertically.  The northern part is vastly different from the southern part.  It could have snow up north and be 70-80* down south.  This affects the road conditions.  Some will be good, some will be terrible. Deer are throughout the unit but in my experience the better bucks have been found by getting away form the roads or going into the wilderness areas.  Good luck on your hunt, 22 is loaded with lots of animals.

Roads west of pine/strawberry out to hardacrabble are crappy 

Main road through the unit is SR 87 its in pretty good shape with the exception of patch jobs that ADOT has attempted to repair. Remember to drive slow in the fast lane so you hold up all the weekend warriors in diesel truck that are burning coal trying to beat all the yuppies to THE SPOT! 

If you are lucky enough to draw a rat tag proceed with caution. They have been known to be highly addictive to hunt with a bow. 

As for Honey holes.....they are all ruined by social media and YouTube influence. Highly  likely to see floods of trucks with license plates from UT, Nevada and California. if I were you I'd stay away from Bushnell, Mount Ord, areas around Rye, south of Roosevelt Lake, the 4 peaks road and roads west of Pine and Strawberry, Mesquite and Sycamore washes.    

If you want a real quality experience chasing deer,...........get on a  side by side and get away from people don't be lazy......walk into areas that aren't pressured you'll be glad you did. 

Just FYI 22 and other central units aren't what they were 5-10 years ago........overall game population is not what is used to be. IMO. 

Good Luck!    

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AZ_SAWBUCK said:

Main road through the unit is SR 87 its in pretty good shape with the exception of patch jobs that ADOT has attempted to repair. Remember to drive slow in the fast lane so you hold up all the weekend warriors in diesel truck that are burning coal trying to beat all the yuppies to THE SPOT! 

If you are lucky enough to draw a rat tag proceed with caution. They have been known to be highly addictive to hunt with a bow. 

As for Honey holes.....they are all ruined by social media and YouTube influence. Highly  likely to see floods of trucks with license plates from UT, Nevada and California. if I were you I'd stay away from Bushnell, Mount Ord, areas around Rye, south of Roosevelt Lake, the 4 peaks road and roads west of Pine and Strawberry, Mesquite and Sycamore washes.    

If you want a real quality experience chasing deer,...........get on a  side by side and get away from people don't be lazy......walk into areas that aren't pressured you'll be glad you did. 

Just FYI 22 and other central units aren't what they were 5-10 years ago........overall game population is not what is used to be. IMO. 

Good Luck!    

Thanks for all the info.  We definitely plan on getting away from roads and putting some miles in. Hunted plenty of pigs so I know they can be fun! I know at some point they are going to make many deer archery hunts a draw because so many flood our state because people flap gums and want to be Instagram famous...