Sign in to follow this  
Yuma Outdoorsman

Antler Shot Off?

I went and picked up my camera today. I had this buck on camera and he already had a messed up rack but now he’s missing his fork on his right side. Does it look like his antler was shot off with a rifle to you? A little early to be prerutting I would think. Curious on your thoughts. 

11292C21-854B-4867-89F7-25C7B53CD7A2.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Wow! 1

Two years ago my target buck was intact a week before opener. Opener comes, glass him up, he's missing his right side from his brow up. Devastated. Thought it was shot off, etc. 

Three days later I killed my #2 buck in same basin. My #2 buck had stab wounds and marks on his neck that looked like antler scrapes. I got suspicious they had a tussle. 

I verified that was the case when I found my #1 bucks sheds. Antler was not shot off but was a very irregularly broken with no bullet evidence. Break was up and down, not from a shearing bullet. 

Buck #2 is on wall, with buck #1's sheds next to him. Buck #2 was mounted as he was with cape damage from antler. 

For some reason they got into it. This is my long winded version of it can happen this early because I've seen it. 

Combined with this year's conditions and I bet it wouldn't take much this year for breakage. Bunch if ways he could have gotten broke including a bullet.   

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Big or Bust said:

Two years ago my target buck was intact a week before opener. Opener comes, glass him up, he's missing his right side from his brow up. Devastated. Thought it was shot off, etc. 

Three days later I killed my #2 buck in same basin. My #2 buck had stab wounds and marks on his neck that looked like antler scrapes. I got suspicious they had a tussle. 

I verified that was the case when I found my #1 bucks sheds. Antler was not shot off but was a very irregularly broken with no bullet evidence. Break was up and down, not from a shearing bullet. 

Buck #2 is on wall, with buck #1's sheds next to him. Buck #2 was mounted as he was with cape damage from antler. 

For some reason they got into it. This is my long winded version of it can happen this early because I've seen it. 

Combined with this year's conditions and I bet it wouldn't take much this year for breakage. Bunch if ways he could have gotten broke including a bullet.   

let see some pictures !! that is cool situation 

• Like 1

Sorry for hijack. 

Target Buck #1- 

MKDpnEA.jpg

Dead buck #2 -

auqjxMd.jpg

Sheds of target buck and damaged cape- 

eyoYeVr.jpg

39FuIyy.jpg

6MXEoj4.jpg

I wasn't even looking for his sheds and stumbled upon them later that year. It was an unreal find and closed the chapter into what happened. 

• Like 8