Sign in to follow this  
Evan T

Hornady Nickel Platted BB

I recently switched from #4 buck to Hornady Heavy Magnum Coyote Nickel Platted BB with good results. I have taken 5 fox and 2 coyotes with the load at distances between 30-40 yards using a modified choke. All dropped in their tracks. Hornady recommends Modified of Improve Cylinder for the load. It is not intended to be used with a full or coyote choke. The nickel platted BB appears to pernitrate better than #4 buck with no serious fur damage so far. The coyote pictured was taken at about 40 yards. It was broadside to me when shot and had pellets in it all through the ribs and into the neck area. When I skinned it a lot of pellets where just under the skin on the exit side of the coyote.1.thumb.jpg.14c99d8b6c57459ec5e04c30e2318a8a.jpg3.thumb.jpg.cea2ecb666d7f0e934414030171ba77a.jpg    

It does a good job at dropping fox too.

5.thumb.jpg.41a60cea5a6478e75e816899927dc87c.jpg

• Like 3

Had good success with BB's on coyotes.  Used Federal 3" copper plated lead BB's for many years, bought a number of boxes but am down to my last few rounds.  Federal no longer makes it and it appears the only option for lead BB's is Hornaday predator loads you mention.  Bought the Federal loads for $15 a box of 25 not that many years ago.  Those days are long gone.  Have used steel BBB's in condor areas, not nearly as effective as lead, 50 yards is max and that is a stretch.

• Like 1

Nice work, Evan.

This is one of the three main reasons I bought into shotshell reloading this past year, it is tough to find lead BB loads for coyotes anymore, in stock or manufactured. That and the price is unbelievable when you do find them.

• Like 1

On 1/4/2022 at 2:47 PM, Swivelhead said:

Had good success with BB's on coyotes.  Used Federal 3" copper plated lead BB's for many years, bought a number of boxes but am down to my last few rounds.  Federal no longer makes it and it appears the only option for lead BB's is Hornaday predator loads you mention.  Bought the Federal loads for $15 a box of 25 not that many years ago.  Those days are long gone.  Have used steel BBB's in condor areas, not nearly as effective as lead, 50 yards is max and that is a stretch.

Yes Hornady appears to be the best only one making plated lead BB loads. A plated lead #4 buck load would probably work just as well but I don't think anyone offers that.

On 1/4/2022 at 3:16 PM, CouesPursuit said:

Nice work, Evan.

This is one of the three main reasons I bought into shotshell reloading this past year, it is tough to find lead BB loads for coyotes anymore, in stock or manufactured. That and the price is unbelievable when you do find them.

Yeah these definitely aren't cheap and they're not in stock very often.

On 1/5/2022 at 3:33 PM, Evan T said:

Yes Hornady appears to be the best only one making plated lead BB loads. A plated lead #4 buck load would probably work just as well but I don't think anyone offers that.

For #4 buck Fiocchi makes nickel plated 2 3/4" and Federal makes copper plated buffered 2 3/4" & 3". Remington only offers hardened lead buffered but it does pattern well in Kicks and Patternmaster chokes. 

• Like 1