Sign in to follow this  
Crazymonkey

280ai mag box how long?

For you guys running the long berger bullets in your 280s what do you need for mag box oal ? I've got a tikka m695 and want to do a 280 ai from a 30-06.  The only question was if it would have a big enough box to run berger bullets.

On 2/3/2022 at 3:58 AM, Crazymonkey said:

For you guys running the long berger bullets in your 280s what do you need for mag box oal ? I've got a tikka m695 and want to do a 280 ai from a 30-06.  The only question was if it would have a big enough box to run berger bullets.

That was the first big game rifle I bought for my son a long time ago. He has never needed to get another rifle and it shoots very small groups.

• Like 1

On 2/3/2022 at 3:58 AM, Crazymonkey said:

It's simple take the 30/06 box from your Tikka and measure the inside of the box minus .020". This will be the max length you can load in that box. Get a sample 280 AI cartridge made up with your favorite bullet that will fit the box and send that sample to your gunsmith so he can cut the proper chamber to fit. Or you can send that sample to a reamer company like JGS and have them make a reamer to the specs of that sample. Understand that the 280 AI is based on the 30/06 case so it should work perfectly!