Sign in to follow this  
WFGinNM

Unit 17 Muzzy Bull

Saturday morning we headed into the area we had scouted, got behind a herd and couldn't get any interest in our calls. We followed in the direction they were moving and caught up to them when they bedded on a hillside above a dirt tank. We spent most of the day glassing this herd for a big bull my friend had seen before the hunt, but never found him. There were about a dozen 5x5s and 5x6s but little Bill wanted a shot at the big one. I will be honest, knowing how hard it can be to get into elk I was a bit frustrated that he wanted to hold off, I wanted him to fill his tag.

post-1202-1223651402_thumb.jpg

Sunday it was raining so we had a good breakfast waiting on the weather. Went to a different area and played cat and mouse with a decent 5x5 and 4 cows. After about 4 hours during which little Bill passed on a 3x3, and finally getting within 110 yards of the group, we set up and watched as the 4 cows crossed an opening infront of us. The bull was about 3 or 4 body lengths from the opening when one of the cows must have winded us and they ran off. I was getting concerned being that we only had Monday morning to hunt since Bill had to be back at school Monday evening.

That night we talked about what a good hunt it had been so far and I mentioned that a successful hunt isn't measured but the size of an animal but the time spent out, I was worried that he was more interested in a "trophy" and missing the point of the "hunt". He said "I know Dad, I have one more morning and will take the first good shot I have tomorrow. I just didn't want to end the hunt too soon".

Next morning we went back to Saturdays spot and got into the same herd as Saturday. Listened to quite a bit of bugleing, and heard an elk walking in the draw below us. After some cow calling, a bull started up the other side of the draw in the open. I ranged it at 152yrds, set up my tripod for him to shoot off, and Bill shot his first bull (3 times). While we waited for it to die a couple more bulls came out of the draw and posed for pictures, and bugled.

post-1202-1223652237.jpg

After awhile we headed over to the bull it jumped up and he shot it in the rear leg, it fell again while he reloaded and finished it with a shot through the lungs.

post-1202-1223652411_thumb.jpg

post-1202-1223652449_thumb.jpg

post-1202-1223652742_thumb.jpg

He shot it a little far back at first, but after the hands on anatomy lesson he knows where the heart actually is now.

Thanks for reading,

--Bill

Congratulations! So 152 yds is exactly what I am hoping for out of my muzzleloader in Nov. and am not quite there. Could I ask a little about your setup? Ammo, scope etc?

Way to go. Sounds like you guys took everything you're supposed to out of a hunt.

Joe

Joe,

He has a TC Encore 50cal. with a 2x7 Leupold Rifleman scope. Shoots .348 Powerbelt Aerotips with 2 50 gr. Pyrodex pellets. At the range we can get 1 1/2 inch groups with 3 shots at 100 yards just about 4 inches high. Hits right on at 150. I tried the .338 Platinums but couldn't get better than 6 inch groups at 50 or 100 yards. We tried 80, 90, and 100 grains of Pyrodex and 100 gave us the best groups without moving the bullet so fast that it broke apart on impact.

--Bill

Tyson,

I'll tell them hello for you, I'll be up there Tuesday after work.

--Bill

We couldn't have done it without our good friend Michael and a couple of his cousins, thanks guys.

--Bill

That is a great bull. I don't know why I did not post in here. Congrats on a great bull. ;)