Simple Hunter

Remington .300 Ultra Mag

Just got my .300 Ultra Mag back from the smith (equipped with muzzle brake) and I need some advice on what brand and grain should I be shooting. I grew up on a .30-06 and always used the standard Remington 125 grain core locket point. The only Remington box I can find in Ultra Mag is 200 grain. I'd rather have the smaller grain if available, for velocity - I'm not hunting elephants.

Remington makes a factory load in the Scirocco (great bullet, high BC)... I forget what weight it is, either 150 or 180. good choice right there

I have been shooting my 300 Ultra Mag since 2000 and I use the 180gr. Scirocco. My model 700 shoots half inch groups with the factory load. At one time we loaded up some 125gr Sierras with 96.5 grains of N165 powder and it also shot half inch groups and were screaming down range! But for all around performance I would say try the 180 Sciroccos. I will try to get a pic posted of the one I recovered from my Elk I shot at 522 yards. It retained almost all its weight with a perfect mushroom.

Remington loads a 150 & 180 Scirocco.

Federal loads a 180 TSX, and 180 Trophy Bonded, and 200 Partition.

I assume you got the 300 RUM for longer ranges, so I would choose a heavier bullet that has the higher BC for less wind drift. A heavier bullet will drop slightly more, but drop is easier to compensate for than wind drift. With the muzzle brake, no worries about the extra recoil.

Grab a box each of the better choices and see what shoots best in your gun.

In factory ammo, you are pretty much limited to Remington offerings. The best load for deer is probably the Remington 150 grain Swift Scirocco. The listed muzzle velocity is 3,450 FPS. This would be a flat-shooting load, not far behind the .257 Wby. All the other available loads are 180-200 grain bullets.

If you just can't find the 150s, I would go with either the 180 grain Scirocco or the 180 Nosler Partition. Look around and call around to various outlets. One of them should have one or more of these in stock. I would steer clear of the 180 Pointed Soft Point Core-Lokt--at those velocities, I don't think that it would hold together inside 300 yds.

Good hunting!

:D

168 gr. Berger VLD.... all the way!!!!!! They are not just for punching paper any more!!!!!! ;) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for your input everyone. I just noticed there is a gun show coming up at the Pima County Fairgrounds on Nov. 1-2. I'll have to look for that 150 grain Scirocco. I guess I could also look at Sportsmen's.

What is the BC on the .30 cal. Scirocco's?? The 168 VLD is 511, if I'm not mistaken..... I have heard good things about the Scirocco's, but after seeing the performance on the Bergers, I have a lot of confidence in this VLD bullet... it is a Show Stopper!!! We have taken 6 animals with this bullet since Dec. 07 and I can tell you that you will have to shoot Really bad to lose a critter with this bullet! All with very similar performance.

Gino,

For the 180 Scirocco, Swift lists a BC of .520. For the 165, they show .470

Doug~RR

Thanks, Doug! I just went and checked the VLD's and the 168 gr. is at .512..... only had one cup of coffee when I posted .511... :rolleyes: :lol:

Guest 300ultramag.

if u look at the ballistics there isnt a huge difference between 150 gr and 180 gr.

i believe it is like a difference of 240 fps out past 500 yds.

so for velocity reasons i woud shoot the latter. unless ur concerned about the trajectory.

i hand load 93 rutumbo w/ 180 nosler

or 87 imr w/ 180 nosler

If you have the muzzle break might as well shoot the heavier bullets. i shoot 180s out of my RUM. it has the case capicity for pushin the heavier bullets w/ plenty of velocity. sciroccos have a very high BC as do bergers, i went with an accubond. id love to try some bergers but right now i am having great results with the accubond and have no need to work up another load. I dont think there is any advantage to lighter bullets in this cartrige. plenty of advantages w/ bigger bullets on down side is recoil, but you have the MB