az4life

Emergency supplies

Just got back from a tough hunt and had a few things go wrong (understatement) so I wanted to ask the best remedies, quick fixes and offer some ideas we might all be able to add to our hunting supplies. These solutions should all be "field Fixes".

Add your own problems and fixes to the list and we can all benefit from the shared info.

Blisters - Everyone gets them and I got a few killers this trip. What is the best way to deal with them. Bandage, Lance, cushion, Freeze them to shrink them, thicker socks, double socks, Moleskin? What do you recommend and why? Fatfootdoc, we are counting on you here...

Ingrown toenails -

Dental problems - I found some stuff that is a temporary patch for fillings, crowns, or dental chips. Temparin - Have you had success with it (I did not) and do you have other remedies.

High altitude sickness - Best cure for dizzyness from High altitude

Deep cuts?

Field fix for a leaky waterproof boot?

I have learned over the years to bring an extra 30pk of beer. The first one can go quick if you tag out early and that means that there will be no driving drunk to the store so more is better and you can always take them home with you! LOL!

I have learned over the years to bring an extra 30pk of beer. The first one can go quick if you tag out early and that means that there will be no driving drunk to the store so more is better and you can always take them home with you! LOL!

LOL! Well put, I do the same. I will be back packing this year but when i get back to the other camp with the others with my big buck!, there will be a couple 30 packs waiting!

coflex and kotex.

x2

Good wool socks (at least 70 wool, no polyester) and goretex socks (in case your boot's gortex fails), and carry enough socks with you that you can change them if they get sweaty. I carry at least 4 pair if I'm going over 5 miles. You should never get a blister with dry socks, unless your boots don't fit correctly.

For tooth pain, chew on some whole cloves, works wonders and is a great cover sent.

I thing the best way to fix blisters is to prevent them... I always wear silk or poly liner socks and then a heavier sock over them... the liner sticks to you feet and gives a protection from blisters.... also keep feet clean and dry if possible, by changing socks at least once every day. Liner socks are very light and small, easy to pack... also easy to wash and dry in the field. ;) Take good care of your feet when at home and things like toe nails won't sneak up on you while hunting.... Wear your hunting boots days at a time before ever going afield to see if they create foot issues. ;)

Super Glue is a must in any first aid pack IMO... might sting in a wound but it will seal it!

Boots have got to be in good shape and proven before a hunt.... once your there you better have a second pair or you are screwed!! Once my feet are (or your feet) are done, the trip is a bust... and done! ;)

Just my $.02! ;)

I agree with Gino 100% on the prevention of blisters. Isn't the old saying "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure"?

If your feet do get blisters then I recomend duct tape. Yep, in fact if you just start getting hot spots on your feet then get some duct tape on them and hike away. I would even suggest that if your feet are blister prone then start your hike by applying duct tape to areas where you normally get blisters so you can stop them before they even start.

For cuts I also recomend super glue, but then once you superglue the cut together cover it with duct tape. This should keep the cut covered, clean, and dry until you can get home and have it properly cared for. Avoiding infection is the key to cuts when you're out in the field.

Never had a problem with leaky boots, but perhaps that shoe goo stuff?

Duct tape is real handy stuff to have for quick fixes out in the field, I never leave home without it!

Was there a thread last year that had information similar to this? I thought there was, and it had some real good information similar to this one; like what people took in the field in their packs. It would be a good thread to pin, lots of useful information that could help someone keep themselves safe in the field.

Something that hasnt been pointed out is your legs! I have always been in decent shape from football or whatever. My freshman year of college, I took a class where we back packed 60 miles in 6 days. I ran a couple miles a few times before we went, mostly banking on my previous season of football to carry me thorugh the trip. We carried all of our water, food shelter etc etc on our backs. This was a SERIOUS test of my man hood. Of course, it started with my boots and the fact that they SUCKED and I had blisters after the first day. After that, my legs were shot and after the 4th day, I seriously had to man up and try to make it out! They were sore, tired, and cramping!No doubt the hardest test of my man hood I have ever had, came out on top by the skin on my teeth!

Lots of good points so far but there has to be some more out there. The thread from last year covered basics that you carry, but this topic so more for what you do in a pinch, sort of Macgyver your way out of the situation.

Feel free to add more troubles.

I agree, the feet are important so prevention is key.

I like the duct tape idea and could have used it.

Someone told me that soaking the blister in ice cold water as long as you can stand it reduces the size overnight. Anyone tried this?

My boots were several seasons old so I did not expect problems and since moving to Wyoming, I discovered the joy of Wool socks, and hunting clothes.

Nothing better. Goretex socks are new but I'll be picking some up soon.

Keep the ideas coming... BTW, My chipped tooth is going to cost about a grand- Root canal and Crown. No easy fix for that one...

The dentist said Temparin I bought does not hold most of the time....

One other thing that Casey eluded to. Buy the best quality boots you can afford. Don't cheap out! Spend $200+ if you have to, but don't expect the $45 Walmart boots to cut the mustard in the back country.

For deep gashes, one might look at a body stapler. I believe Cabelas carries them. Take a sufficient amount of gauze and tape to wrap in case of deep wounds from falling etc. I would hate to have to use staples, but may be necessary.

The best remedy for dental pain is aspirin. A quarter of a tablet twice a day against the tooth that hurts will deaden the pain. It kept me going for a full week before I had a chance to get in and get it fixed.

Bill in sunny Tucson

I grew up in Colorado, never had altitude sickness in my life that I could recall. Never even heard of it really.

That is until I moved to Arizona in 1991. Fall of '91 I went back home for Elk. Had an incredible headache and nausea that first night. I got better. figured it was the long drive or the beer or something I ate. Next year, same thing. Hmm, I wonder. Summer of 1998, lets go home and visit, and oh by the way, lets go up mount Evans and see the sheep and mountain goats. Can you say excruciating pain! guess what.. I get altitude sickness.

Now every summer I go back to Colorado for fishing, hiking 4 wheeling etc, but I know enough to stop for a couple days between 7000 and 8000 feet and get acclimated. There is NO other cure. If you think you are experiencing altitude sickness, (nausea, headache, dizziness, disorientation,) the ONLY remedy is to get to a lower altitude.

This shouldn't be a problem here in Arizona, but if you are leaving this state, plan a few extra days before reaching that 10,000 foot camp to ensure you are acclimated. It's worth it.

Bret