Sign in to follow this  
Coach

Insurance for low-mileage off-road jeep

Hey guys,

I've recently finished restoring an older jeep that I plan to use almost completely for off-highway driving. Of course, in order to be registered, it needs to be insured. I was just wondering what you guys have found for cheap insurance for a situation like this.

It will be driven mostly on forest service roads, but some street driving. It will be driven very few miles per year, so a per-mile type plan may be worth looking into.

Thanks for any suggestions.

1980 cj7. This is the first I've heard of collector's car insurance. I'll look into that.

4 hours ago, Coach said:

1980 cj7. This is the first I've heard of collector's car insurance. I'll look into that.

Ok ya it is  old enough for it 

You will want liability insurance for sure (beyond the state mandate) because you will inevitably operate it on unpaved county roads (as stated above). If stopped (or god forbid are in an at fault accident) you will be asked for evidence of insurance.

Check out Hagerty and/or Grundy (competitors in this niche insurance space) as they are the largest "collector car" insurance companies. Don't let "collector car" scare you as the premiums are relative to the value of the vehicle for physical damage coverage. They also assume that it's not a daily driver. There are benefits like having "agreed value". You can quote online or call them direct for help. If you have an independent insurance agent, they will likely represent one of those companies too. 

The above will likely be cheaper than adding to your existing personal auto policy, even with the multi car and low "short" mile discounts. You can get a quote from them to compare. 

Now what limits of liability to choose? Likely, you will want to match your other personal auto limits (especially if you have a personal umbrella policy because those have a minimum requirement of underlying liability e.g. 100/300 or 250/500 Bodily Injury (per person/per accident)) You will also want to call your "umbrella insurance carrier" and let them know about this vehicle and the carrier you have insuring it. This way that Umbrella liability will sit over your limits on the new rig too. 

As for physical damage to your jeep, I would also add Comprehensive coverage at a minimum incase it is stolen or catches fire, Collision would cover fixing your vehicle if you are at fault hitting another vehicle or a tree for example.  If someone else hits you, their liability should respond unless they have no coverage then it's back to your Collision coverage. 

Of course you could choose to not insure for physical damage (of your Jeep) and save the $100-$300/ a year that it may cost, but I would get options there too.   

Pay per mile- This is a newer option since Insur-techs came on the scene but Metro Mile is the one I have heard of. I have no experience with them so do your due diligence and apply the same theory as above if you have an umbrella. 

PM me if you need more info, clarification on anything stated above, or need a referral to a competent professional, I know several.

Hope that helps

Have fun with the huntin' rig! 

• Like 2

BTW, If anybody sees the 1979 maroon CJ-7 soft top Renegade, I sold in Scottsdale back in 1992, I'd like to have it back.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, HorseHunter said:

You will want liability insurance for sure (beyond the state mandate) because you will inevitably operate it on unpaved county roads (as stated above). If stopped (or god forbid are in an at fault accident) you will be asked for evidence of insurance.

Check out Hagerty and/or Grundy (competitors in this niche insurance space) as they are the largest "collector car" insurance companies. Don't let "collector car" scare you as the premiums are relative to the value of the vehicle for physical damage coverage. They also assume that it's not a daily driver. There are benefits like having "agreed value". You can quote online or call them direct for help. If you have an independent insurance agent, they will likely represent one of those companies too. 

The above will likely be cheaper than adding to your existing personal auto policy, even with the multi car and low "short" mile discounts. You can get a quote from them to compare. 

Now what limits of liability to choose? Likely, you will want to match your other personal auto limits (especially if you have a personal umbrella policy because those have a minimum requirement of underlying liability e.g. 100/300 or 250/500 Bodily Injury (per person/per accident)) You will also want to call your "umbrella insurance carrier" and let them know about this vehicle and the carrier you have insuring it. This way that Umbrella liability will sit over your limits on the new rig too. 

As for physical damage to your jeep, I would also add Comprehensive coverage at a minimum incase it is stolen or catches fire, Collision would cover fixing your vehicle if you are at fault hitting another vehicle or a tree for example.  If someone else hits you, their liability should respond unless they have no coverage then it's back to your Collision coverage. 

Of course you could choose to not insure for physical damage (of your Jeep) and save the $100-$300/ a year that it may cost, but I would get options there too.   

Pay per mile- This is a newer option since Insur-techs came on the scene but Metro Mile is the one I have heard of. I have no experience with them so do your due diligence and apply the same theory as above if you have an umbrella. 

PM me if you need more info, clarification on anything stated above, or need a referral to a competent professional, I know several.

Hope that helps

Have fun with the huntin' rig! 

Great info. Thanks.

• Like 1