Sign in to follow this  
bonecollector

Tick Tock

1 hour ago, 5yearcoueshunter said:

So do they not charge the 3rd or 4th choice the first day?  I got a hit, but wasn't sure if it could be my 3rd choice.

I only said that because one year I was charged 4-5 days after they started and it was my last choice, that I got drawn for. Probably just a coincidence. I have 6 points for deer though. If I cant draw an October tag in 23 or 22 with that, something is wrong.

My first and second choice, were late hunts in those units. 

6 minutes ago, briant_az said:

I only said that because one year I was charged 4-5 days after they started and it was my last choice, that I got drawn for. Probably just a coincidence. I have 6 points for deer though. If I cant draw an October tag in 23 or 22 with that, something is wrong.

My first and second choice, were late hunts in those units. 

ok, gotcha.   

I'm not going to claim to be an expert on the draw system in AZ, because I'm a NR.   But my understanding of 3rd and 4th choice is there has to be leftover tags from the 1-2 pass.  So if you put in for late hunts in those units for 1,2 choices and don't draw (odds look to be about 10 - 15% with 6 points as a resident), then there has to be leftover for the October hunt to get it as a 3rd choice.  I don't think there are any leftover.   

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 5yearcoueshunter said:

ok, gotcha.   

I'm not going to claim to be an expert on the draw system in AZ, because I'm a NR.   But my understanding of 3rd and 4th choice is there has to be leftover tags from the 1-2 pass.  So if you put in for late hunts in those units for 1,2 choices and don't draw (odds look to be about 10 - 15% with 6 points as a resident), then there has to be leftover for the October hunt to get it as a 3rd choice.  I don't think there are any leftover.   

You are correct he had a better chance of drawing his 1st two choices then his 3rd and 4th choice there's no leftover permits for those units... 

23 minutes ago, Coues7777 said:

You are correct he had a better chance of drawing his 1st two choices then his 3rd and 4th choice there's no leftover permits for those units... 

I am no expert on the system so take this for what its worth.....

There will be tags left over for those units (October tags) after the first bonus point pass. At least most years there aren't enough people that put those hunts as there first choice, to take all the tags. So I should be able to draw it in the second pass with 6 points. However, tag numbers are dwindling and there are more people applying in Arizona now. I could have it totally wrong, if I do that's okay. I can tell you this, I wont start a dang petition saying its unfair, or that I should get a trophy even though my team lost.  

1 hour ago, briant_az said:

I am no expert on the system so take this for what its worth.....

There will be tags left over for those units (October tags) after the first bonus point pass. At least most years there aren't enough people that put those hunts as there first choice, to take all the tags. So I should be able to draw it in the second pass with 6 points. However, tag numbers are dwindling and there are more people applying in Arizona now. I could have it totally wrong, if I do that's okay. I can tell you this, I wont start a dang petition saying its unfair, or that I should get a trophy even though my team lost.  

If you would have done 1st choice as late Dec and then 2nd choice as October, you should have been guaranteed your October hunt with 6 points.  Both of those 2 choices are evaluated in the 20% Preference pass (top point holders get the tag) and then then 80% bonus pass (you get as many random numbers as the amount of points you have).   If after they have gone through all applications there are still tags leftover (hardly ever happens anymore), then they look at 3rd and 4th choice.   

https://www.azgfd.com/hunting/draw/process/

• Like 3

My boys drew youth tags, either Kaibab doe or WT in the 36's. 

Now I need to find a replacement trailer and truck

• Like 1