Sign in to follow this  
AzRaised08

Velvets

I was out scouting this past week since we’ll be in a completely new unit than the area we’ve drawn the past few years. We were able to spot two different bachelor groups during our time out. I was able to observe one group really well and all 3 bulls were in full velvet with growth still happening. The other group I didn’t get the greatest look at because we bumped them and they went running. BUT from what we could tell, it looks like most if not all of them no longer had velvet and their growth was done? Did my eyes deceive me? We didn’t get the greatest look but they were about 60 yards ahead of us and we were able to observe them for a good 10-15 seconds before they dipped out of sight. Not sure if this is as relevant but from what we could tell, the first group in velvet looked like they will be fineeee bulls once their growth is done. The other bachelor group seemed more like forkeys and smaller 5x5s. Appreciate any insight you guys can provide!

I’d be shocked if they were rubbed already. Earliest I have ever seen a bull rubbing velvet was first week of august 

• Like 4

I’d say your eyes deceived you 💯 especially if it were all of them.   I have seen a bull rubbed the last week of July up here in Colorado (very rare) but this time of year they are still putting on a lot of inches.   2nd week of August is usually normal for them to start rubbing out.

• Like 2

Pretty sure your eyes deceived you. The date stamp is correct on the train camera picture and very typical to see mature bulls hard horn at the beginning of August.

Jeff

08190190a.JPG

• Like 2

Ok that is kinda what I thought. I figured it would be pretty much impossible. The only thing that I can think of is maybe the horns were still a bit on the skinny side, so with the velvet they looked “normal” if that makes sense