Sign in to follow this  
My Rights As An American

Replacing a home electric panel

Need to look into replacing my home electric panel (breaker box). House is 1570 square feet, built in 427 BC (1960) and may be the original panel. Looking to have this done professionally but no idea how much something like this costs. Have a couple questions:

1. Anyone here do this for residential?

2. Rough cost?

3. Rough estimate on scheduling how far out?

4. Idea on how long this project takes? Is it usually done in one day?

Thanks!

Brian,

Is the panel inside or out? I am guessing it is a screw in fuse panel? I would think maybe $3K? It's been years since I did one as just a homeowner and I pulled a permit both times. If it is just replacing a panel on the outside of the house it will be 4-8 hours.

The City inspector will probably make the contractor install two ground rods and bond the water line and natural gas if you have that. The contractor can do some prep work but when it is ready to be changed out SRP will come out and disconnect the power then the panel gets swapped out and the circuits landed on the breakers and bonging tied in. The the City Inspector shows up and Green Tags it and then SRP comes back and connects the main power.

• Like 1

I am building a detach and ended up upgrading my panel from 200a to 400a in the process, then putting a 200a panel on the detach so a little different but the change over minus pulling new wire would be the same I would think. SRP/APS will shut the service off (that occurred at 7am), old panel out -> new panel prep by electrician (county inspector signed off on ground and uffer and released it back to SRP) -> SRP restores service -> Electrician then hooks up all the breakers.  We were down from 7-4:30 but again had to pull wire etc..I would guess yours will be much simpler.  

If you want the contact for the guy I used - happy to share.  I am very pleased with him. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, jdown said:

I am building a detach and ended up upgrading my panel from 200a to 400a in the process, then putting a 200a panel on the detach so a little different but the change over minus pulling new wire would be the same I would think. SRP/APS will shut the service off (that occurred at 7am), old panel out -> new panel prep by electrician (county inspector signed off on ground and uffer and released it back to SRP) -> SRP restores service -> Electrician then hooks up all the breakers.  We were down from 7-4:30 but again had to pull wire etc..I would guess yours will be much simpler.  

If you want the contact for the guy I used - happy to share.  I am very pleased with him. 

Yes, please. Thanks!

• Like 1