Sign in to follow this  
The Chase

Looking for a good taxidermist

Cohofishing I have a mount from Wellers and it is very nice and I might still use them. But I saw 2 mounts that came from them to put it nicely they were shaky at best and I would hate to be one of the unlucky ones so I want to check out some of these other guys and see what kind of work they do. And Wellers is getting a little pricey.

I just got my Euro Elk mount back from Mark, and it looks great! Turn around was a little over three months, but was held up because of the mount itself. He also caps most of my deer for all of my family. He is my personal favorite.

One of our own members here, Greg at Trail's End is a great taxidernist! Don't forget him when considering a taxidermist. he's at Higley and Riggs

I've seen a lot of Taxidermy work and the two best I've ever seen is Mark Plunkett and Dan Lee from Dewey AZ. The only drawback with Dan's work is that he's the only one that works there and the turnaround takes over a year and the cost is almost $700 I think. That's OK by me though cause I've had my 132" buck mounted by him and it is the best mount I've ever seen. I've got another big buck being mounted by him right now and I'm sure it'll take a while too, but the wait is worth it to me. Here's a pic of one of his mounts of a freakin HOG buck taken a couple years back that grosses 138" I think. I think his attn to detail is amazing. Like I said though, Mark is unbelievable too.

post-3-1105149154.jpg

post-3-1105149175.jpg

There is only one taxidermist in Casa Grande and I have one hide tanned by him and I would not recommend him for anyone. I thought I would try something simple and see what kind of work he would turn out and the hide was butched up, it started out at approximately 4x6 and when I got it back it is about 2 1/2 x 4, my elk hide didn't shrink but he says deer hides shrink up when tanned. It took him 11 months and 3 weeks to get it done and other people have taken stuff to him and can not get him to call them back to let them know if it is dtill there or if it's even done. My hide was skinned out with the legs, neck and tail and now it is dang near rectangler with no legs, neck or tail. The name is " Desert dreams " . :P

Dan Lee is by far the best coues deer I've ever seen. Jim Hartsock at SW Wildlife Art in Scottsdale is awesome too. You would probably be safe with a coues deer, but Mark Plunkett had lost (mysteriously????) a buffalo of my buddies and claimed it as stolen. Interesting how someone stole a buffalo cape and horns that just happened to match. The deer from Wellers and Newman look great though and if Dan King uses them they are probably good.

Josh,

That's a toad of a buck you posted. Judging from the pics, Dan appears to do a great job. But ya gets what ya pays fer, ya know. Does he have a shop in Dewey that one can stop by and look at his work?

As a side note, the first thing that I looked at was the antlers and not the work shown in the head itself. I think most hunters don't get down past the antlers and really critique the taxidermists artwork.

I have had two coues done by Mark Plunkett, and they are also good. Since moving to Flagstaff, all of my work has been done by Tim Rajsich at TR taxidermy here in Flag. His deer mounts are about the same as Dan's, but again, you get what you pay for.

Doug / Red Rabbit

Clay Goldman at Mogollon Taxidermy is doing my coues. He has done three for a friend of mine all over 100" bucks and they are absolutely beautiful. He charges $490.00 and it takes about 8 months. He pas alot of attention to detail and is ver mathotical.

Matt