Sign in to follow this  
tjhunt2

Lion/deer

Last week's hunt was to be Dad's. He's pushing the big 80 and I really wanted him to get the 6x I had on my trail cam. The big buck came in every night and twice during the day the week prior to our hunt. I sat with Dad all day Friday and only does came in. Dad was unable to get his bones working so he didn't hunt Sat. Again the 6x came in at night with several other bucks. Dad left for home and was to be back Sunday by noon and I had decided I would sit before daylight till dark but at 7:30 Sunday morning here came this buck that had been hanging out with the 6x. I held out as long as I could and thought if I shot this one then Dad could get the big one. Sounded like a good excuse to me to pull the trigger on this 3x3. Couldn't get the self timer to work so no pics with me and deer. Monday morning I had Dad in the blind before daylight and this was to be his day when in came this lion. I didn't see it and Dad said there was a lion in front of us. The inside of that blind was nuts. I said shoot him and Dad said he didn't have a tag. I grabed his rifle and by now the lion was 100yards up the hill and I couldn't get a clear shot. Dad's yelling in my ear quietly, "can you see him" and then the lion turned towards the only opening I had. I put the crosshairs in the clearing and she walked out. BANG! Dad said, "my God you're bleeding". The scope smacked me in the nose since my position and form wasn't quite right. I didn't know if I had hit the lion till I got up the hill and she laid her ears back and hissed. I missed at 40yds. Shaking like a leaf I got closer and finally finished her off. All I could think of was how I screwed up Dad's hunt but he was happy for me. He said the memories are all that counts anyways. I will be back in Jan. for the big boy. Bow in hand. :)

post-1903-1225382347_thumb.jpg

3x3

post-1903-1225382426_thumb.jpg

my 3rd lion

post-1903-1225382718_thumb.jpg

Pa and his lion I shot

post-1903-1225382864_thumb.jpg

It was good times with Dad. He was to tired to hunt the rest of the hunt but he gave it his all.Thanks Pa! :)

TJ

TJ I bet your dad was just as happy to be spending time with you in the field, and probably just as excited to see you pull the trigger as when you were a little tike. Great buck and lion!

Were you using a pop up blind or one you made in the field?

I was using a double bull blind. It has been very good to me. Shot another lion a few years ago out of it at 8yds with my bow. :)

TJ

That is one heck of a buck and glad you got rid of that deer killer. The best part is being with your dad. I wish I still had mine to be out in the hills with. Congrats

That's one heck of a deer!.....and to think he was the smaller of the two.

Maybe you should tell me where that is so I can keep an eye on him in late December for you ;)

dang TJ, that is a HOG of a buck! That is awesome that you got to share those experiences with your pappy....and the whole time he was whisperin in your ear, that is just cool! Great job on two awesome trophies! JIM>