Sign in to follow this  
Heat

Kowa 55 series

Anybody want to talk me out of buying one? Anyone get it and regret their choice? Supposedly punches a little higher than its weight class. Figure I will carry and use the small one the most probably. Only gripe I hear is the narrow FOV. May not be a big deal for me but hard to say without looking through it. I can use optics with or without my glasses if that is a factor.

No reason to talk you out of the best compact spotter around. Give us a call and mention this forum and of course we will hook you up.

516-217-1000

• Like 2

FOV is only an issue when using the spotter for glassing. I personally use my SLCs (10s or 15s) for glassing and my spotter (STX 65/95 or Kowa 554) comes out for confirmation.

The Kowa 554 is very nice. I personally found it better overall than the STS 65 (hunt on Kodiak where I was able to do a side=by-side comparison over the hunt) and slightly behind my STX 65 (weeks in the field comparing it with my STX 65 while scouting and hunting in AZ); this is in a package that is about 1/2 the cost (shop around) and weight of an STX 65. 

Look at the spotting scope comparison done by Backwoods Pursuit. Like everything else online, take it with a grain of salt.

• Like 3

I hate using the word because it is so played out but the Kowa 554 is AMAZING! Absolutely unreal for a 55mm spotter weighing under 2#! Thanks for the encouragement.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Heat said:

I hate using the word because it is so played out but the Kowa 554 is AMAZING! Absolutely unreal for a 55mm spotter weighing under 2#! Thanks for the encouragement.

I have never felt handicapped using KOWA. I had a full sized but sold it during hard times years ago to a guy on here who was goingto use it to spot shots in black powder silhouette. Lots of great options out there. Kowa, Meotpa, Zeiss etc. The biggest thing is to know what to look for and then realize it when you find it.

I don't hunt with many people but the two best glassesr I have been around are Big Browns AKA Adam Young and Ernesto Cibrian. I think these two could spot a buck through a coke bottle.

3 hours ago, PRDATR said:

I have never felt handicapped using KOWA. I had a full sized but sold it during hard times years ago to a guy on here who was goingto use it to spot shots in black powder silhouette. Lots of great options out there. Kowa, Meotpa, Zeiss etc. The biggest thing is to know what to look for and then realize it when you find it.

I don't hunt with many people but the two best glassesr I have been around are Big Browns AKA Adam Young and Ernesto Cibrian. I think these two could spot a buck through a coke bottle.

I think I'm a pretty good Glasser and Adam definitely impressed me.