bowhunter-tw

Desert Mule Deer

Hey guys, out doing a bunch of scouting for an upcoming mule deer hunt. Wondering do the desert mule deer bucks tend to stick to the flats and low foothills of mtns or do you find them up high? Ive found some mule deer does in the hills but havent spotted any decent bucks. During the rut I find them all over up high in a different unit but im thinking its cause they pull out of the flats chasing the does in the hills. Guess Im trying to narrow down the type of desert terrain to look at. I can find coues deer all day long but muleys are proving to be a challenge

End of october, beginning of november. It seems even if I find bucks now they move quite a bit by november, or im just over looking them. Do you find if they are there now they are still there in november?

59 minutes ago, bowhunter-tw said:

End of october, beginning of november. It seems even if I find bucks now they move quite a bit by november, or im just over looking them. Do you find if they are there now they are still there in november?

In my experience with cams on water, even on dry years after they rub some move and some don’t. Enigmas. Only thing for certain with a desert mule deer is he will be with does in January.  Other than that it’s just hard work or knowing a honey hole. 

Had a buck I wanted my dad to shoot. Had him in on cam september, glassed him up late October on my coues hunt. spent everyday of my dads November hunt looking, nothing. 3 weeks later opening weekend archery there he is again on the same hill. Strong wtf. 

I'm almost convinced the bigger bucks stay in the flats early season and only get lured out by does in January and December.  

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, HuntHarder said:

I'm almost convinced the bigger bucks stay in the flats early season and only get lured out by does in January and December.  

I’d say that’s a fact. But it’s possible to catch them slipping the November hunt. The problem is they don’t stay in one spot in the flats and they’re nocturnal. 

Id agree with that; I busted a buck saturday and he hauled butt up some the steepest boulder covered junk ive seen. Im trying to narrow down some better flats to look into, 22 doesnt seem to have a ton of these flats type areas

10 minutes ago, bowhunter-tw said:

Id agree with that; I busted a buck saturday and he hauled butt up some the steepest boulder covered junk ive seen. Im trying to narrow down some better flats to look into, 22 doesnt seem to have a ton of these flats type areas

22, been there once my buddy killed a 162 first morning we were there. Was awesome. And yeah that’s some different terrain than what I been talking about. 

18 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

22, been there once my buddy killed a 162 first morning we were there. Was awesome. And yeah that’s some different terrain than what I been talking about. 

Dang, I wish. Ive not turned anything up like that yet. Definitely some different terrain

7 minutes ago, bowhunter-tw said:

Dang, I wish. Ive not turned anything up like that yet. Definitely some different terrain

A long time ago on this board a girl killed a 30” wide buck there.