creed

Crossbows

1 hour ago, EarlyBronco said:

So somebody with one arm that is truly handicap shouldn’t be able to hunt with a crossbow during regular archery season and get the same opportunity everyone else gets? That’s idiotic, and selfish of others to think that they are the only ones that should be archery hunting when there are truly people that can’t use a traditional style bow so they get a crossbow to still do what they once loved to do?

Where there's a will there's a way.  Archery isn't supposed to be easy.  Sorry, but when I can no longer pull a bowstring, I'll hunt with another weapon in it's proper season.  What I will not do, is demand I get to still hunt in the archery only season with a weapon that is not a bow and arrow.  The sad thing is, there is a place for crossbows in our season(s), much like the HAM hunts.  I see more and more 'abusers' of this permit each year.  This should be the next issue the commission addresses, IMO.      

index.jpg

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Bill@roofer said:

My opinion That's taking advantage of the permit. The requirements clearly state that you must not be able to pull back your bow anymore. I'm not sure what the poundage of pull you must pull to require a permit. Not really sure what your heart has to do with your arms or shoulder.

There's a lot more to it than that. Here is the exact wording from the application:

The Arizona Game and Fish Department may issue a CROSSBOW permit if the applicant has one or more of the following physical limitations: An amputation involving body extremities required for stable function to use conventional archery equipment; A spinal cord injury resulting in a disability to the lower extremities, leaving the applicant nonambulatory; A wheelchair restriction; A neuromuscular condition that prevents the applicant from drawing and holding a bow; A failed manual muscle test involving the grading of shoulder and elbow flexion and extension or an impaired range-of-motion test involving the shoulder or elbow; A combination of comparable physical disabilities resulting in the applicant's inability to draw and hold a bow; or A failed functional draw test that equals 30 pounds of resistance and involves holding it for four seconds. The functional draw test may not be used to determine eligibility for the permit when it is not associated with a disability.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BOHNTR said:

Where there's a will there's a way.  Archery isn't supposed to be easy.  Sorry, but when I can no longer pull a bowstring, I'll hunt with another weapon in it's proper season.  What I will not do, is demand I get to still hunt in the archery only season with a weapon that is not a bow and arrow.  The sad thing is, there is a place for crossbows in our season(s), much like the HAM hunts.  I see more and more 'abusers' of this permit each year.  This should be the next issue the commission addresses, IMO.      

index.jpg

That’s great this girl can do that, and my brother can shoot targets with a mouth tab, but that isn’t very fair to an animal now is it ??

Just now, BOHNTR said:

index.jpg

Give them their own season.  Tighten up the rules

• Like 1

Man being a 90% archery guy and a drywall contractor for years in the past my shoulders are already toast. I hate the thought of giving up on archery altogether and having to gun hunt and have reduced potential at trophy animals, as if giving up on bowhunting wasn't insulting enough already. I definitely understand why guys get pissed if they see it abused but I do believe it's there for a reason.  I think a fair solution would be to make it mandatory to get the approval by a doctor that game and fish authorizes in each major city. And of course you must provide any documentation and records from pcp. This would at least help eliminate the buddy doctor hookup. But to take archery away from die hard archery guys... Fuk that!

• Like 2

Just now, EarlyBronco said:

That’s great this girl can do that, and my brother can shoot targets with a mouth tab, but that isn’t very fair to an animal now is it ??

I know SEVERAL bowhunters who have killed MANY animals with one arm and a mouth tab.  Do some research first and then comment.....might look up Dwight Shuh, Tom Hoffman and some others who had to do it when they had shoulder surgeries.  As I previously stated, where there's a will there's a way.....it's not suppose to be easy.  JMO. 

6 minutes ago, Heat said:

You decide. But then again we got folks out there who can't decide if they are a boy or a girl so goes to show you how people will convince themselves of anything to justify the means.

My position has never changed. People are taking advantage of a lax set of rules. Some of them generally don't have enough honor to say "when".

Ya'll want to make me out to be the bad guy or the disabled hater, whatever. Anybody that knows me knows that's not the truth so I could care less.

You have done too much for the hunting community. I will disagree but I won’t disrespect you

5 minutes ago, EarlyBronco said:

Well me and my brother used shoot bows all the time and go hunting growing up, he got in an accident and only has use of one arm now and can’t shoot a bow, he recently bought a crossbow so we can still hunt together and I’m glad he did, I can’t wait until he kills a deer with it too so I can post it on this website and watch all you idiots with an answer to everything that always think your right about every topic sit and talk shoot about it, you guys aren’t the only ones with opinions, and your opinions aren’t always right, neither are mine, but in some situations when people aren’t taking advantage of it , crossbows are a good thing to keep people that actually love hunting in the field, I am right about that

Your damb right. And good for you and your brother. Good luck and looking forward to seeing your brothers first crossbow kill. 

• Like 2

I know SEVERAL bowhunters who have killed MANY animals with one arm and a mouth tab.  Do some research first and then comment.....might look up Dwight Shuh, Tom Hoffman and some others who had to do it when they had shoulder surgeries.  As I previously stated, where there's a will there's a way.....it's not suppose to be easy.  JMO. 

I could care less about what any person you just listed is doing, and your right there is a way, and that’s shooting a crossbow for him 👍🏼

1 minute ago, Bill@roofer said:

Your damb right. And good for you and your brother. Good luck and looking forward to seeing your brothers first crossbow kill. 

Thank you I appreciate that 👍🏼

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, EarlyBronco said:

I could care less about what any person you just listed is doing, and your right there is a way, and that’s shooting a crossbow for him 👍🏼

Are you backpedaling?  :)  You said, " that isn’t very fair to an animal now is it ??"  Which would indicate that you feel pursuing game animals with a bow and arrow and a mouth tab is not fair to the animal as if it would not be as accurate and/or successful???  This is why I gave you specific and credible examples of those who have done it.  Was that not what you were referring to? 

Are you backpedaling?  :)  You said, " that isn’t very fair to an animal now is it ??"  Which would indicate that you feel pursuing game animals with a bow and arrow and a mouth tab is not fair to the animal as if it would not be as accurate and/or successful???  This is why I gave you specific and credible examples of those who have done it.  Was that not what you were referring to? 

I'd go mouthtab before going to rifle. Is that something on the market or are they custom made? At least I know what it's called now..

Just now, CatfishKev said:

I'd go mouthtab before going to rifle. Is that something on the market or are they custom made? At least I know what it's called now..

Actually there are a few people that produce them and/or know where they are produced.  I believe our very own Dick Tone (AZ archery instructor/bowhunter) has helped folks procure one when needed.   

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, BOHNTR said:

I am not backpedaling at all I mean what I said, and what I am referring to is my brother , I don’t think it is fair to the animal if he’s using a mouth tab because he only pulls 40lbs and isn’t as steady as everybody else since he had to learn how to stand and walk and lost movement in his arm after his wreck, so I’ll say it again, I don’t think it’s fair, that’s why he has a crossbow so we can TRY to set it in shooting sticks or something so he can be a little more steady, but you have an answer for everything, so doesn’t really matter what I say , that’s my opinion and nothing anybody says will ever change it