creed

Crossbows

3 minutes ago, EarlyBronco said:

I am not backpedaling at all I mean what I said, and what I am referring to is my brother , I don’t think it is fair to the animal if he’s using a mouth tab because he only pulls 40lbs and isn’t as steady as everybody else since he had to learn how to stand and walk and lost movement in his arm after his wreck, so I’ll say it again, I don’t think it’s fair, that’s why he has a crossbow so we can TRY to set it in shooting sticks or something so he can be a little more steady, but you have an answer for everything, so doesn’t really matter what I say , that’s my opinion and nothing anybody says will ever change it 

He sounds like a good candidate for a crossbow……but in their own season or HAM type season.  Sadly, more and more people are abusing the permit system.  JMO

2 hours ago, Heat said:

I will never understand why people feel entitled to hunt during the archery season when the weapon doesn't suit them anymore.

I'd rather approach it by adding opportunity through traditional only seasons. Win win, more hunters hunting, killing less game or the same with WAY more opportunity. Things like Crossbows and Long Range Shooting are hurting our opportunity.

Your compound is not considered traditional gear ,nor sight pins  nor 80% let,off. ,  range finders, etc. As far as desire to hunt during archery seasons , get your arse out the end of November  and freeeze, miss both elk and deer ruts along with  the longer seasons, and have to rely on shi**y draw odds, then see how sanctimonious you feel.

good thing you could care less…..

15 minutes ago, BOHNTR said:

He sounds like a good candidate for a crossbow……but in their own season or HAM type season.  Sadly, more and more people are abusing the permit system.  JMO

So does a crossbow hunter get 12 weeks a year to get the job done? That's how long a bowhunter get every year. Maybe a 6 day hunt every year for bowhunter would be a good idea. Since your not handicap 6 days should be good. Then give Handycapped crossbow hunters 12 weeks a year to hunt. How's that work for all you crossbow haters.

• Like 1

My Dad got a crossbow permit after he had an orthopedic surgeon tell him he couldn't shoot a bow anymore. He got injured saving a young gal from getting crushed by a falling load.

He did extensive testing with his fancy Ten Point crossbow and determined his lethal distance was 60 yards which was no different from his PSE bow. Those bolts just don't have the same mass as a durable arrow. 

The part that bothers him and I are when you see guys running around with a loaded crossbow. You cannot really run around with your bow drawn back. So that shouldn't be allowed. He implemented his own self imposed rule to never wind up the crossbow until he was ready to shoot. 

During archery javelina season I was able to shoot way faster than him with this restriction. 

So IMHO if they allow crossbows they shouldn't be loaded all the time. Keep it somewhat a challenge trying to load it at 30 yards without spooking the game. 

1 minute ago, Bill@roofer said:

So does a crossbow hunter get 12 weeks a year to get the job done? That's how long a bowhunter get every year. Maybe a 6 day hunt every year for bowhunter would be a good idea. Since your not handicap 6 days should be good. Then give Handycapped crossbow hunters 12 weeks a year to hunt. How's that work for all you crossbow haters.

You ASSume I’m a crossbow hater.  Not at all, they are a viable weapon that has a place in the hunting community. They just are not a bow and arrow.  Just like a muzzleloader is not a bow and arrow.  Shooting a crossbow is MUCH easier to become efficient than a bow and arrow.  FACT.  This is why archery hunts were historically longer……their difficulty level is much higher than all other weapons.  Doesn’t make them better or worse, just different.  You want to keep what you’ve always done, which I completely understand, with a different weapon system.  While I understand your reasoning, maybe it’s time to hunt with a more suitable weapon in the appropriate season?   Nothing personal, just an objective view.     

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BOHNTR said:

You ASSume I’m a crossbow hater.  Not at all, they are a viable weapon that has a place in the hunting community. They just are not a bow and arrow.  Just like a muzzleloader is not a bow and arrow.  Shooting a crossbow is MUCH easier to become efficient than a bow and arrow.  FACT.  This is why archery hunts were historically longer……their difficulty level is much higher than all other weapons.  Doesn’t make them better or worse, just different.  You want to keep what you’ve always done, which I completely understand, with a different weapon system.  While I understand your reasoning, maybe it’s time to hunt with a more suitable weapon in the appropriate season?   Nothing personal, just an objective view.     

I just gave a option for a appropriate season.. doesn't matter rather your a hater or not.. As a rifle hunter or a bowhunter, Would you be okay with less time to hunt, and at a different time then someone else, Handycapped or not?

34 minutes ago, BOHNTR said:

They are going to have hard numbers on weapon type. Since they already are being counted as archery kills reduce archery permits and season length accordingly. 

While we’re at it let’s ban compound bows. The use of scopes, sights, releases give them an unfair advantage over stick bows. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Bill@roofer said:

Would you be okay with less time to hunt, and at a different time then someone else, Handycapped or not?

That already happens.  Archery seasons are longer than rifle and muzzleloader seasons.  I’m okay with that, as I understand the reasoning (level of difficulty to attain success).  If I want to to capitalize on the longer and early season, then I need to become proficient with that weapon system (bow and arrow).  

5 minutes ago, creed said:

They are going to have hard numbers on weapon type. Since they already are being counted as archery kills reduce archery permits and season length accordingly. 

While we’re at it let’s ban compound bows. The use of scopes, sights, releases give them an unfair advantage over stick bows. 

Yea and if your only one handed give them a spear. And if you have no arms or legs use a blowgun .  If your blind use dynamite. 

10 minutes ago, creed said:

I could go for that too…..I would oil up the ol’ Brackenbury recurve again.  But those hunter numbers would not support the financial goals of the game department. :) 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, NOTAGS said:

Your compound is not considered traditional gear ,nor sight pins  nor 80% let,off. ,  range finders, etc. As far as desire to hunt during archery seasons , get your arse out the end of November  and freeeze, miss both elk and deer ruts along with  the longer seasons, and have to rely on shi**y draw odds, then see how sanctimonious you feel.

good thing you could care less…..

Recurve/ Longbow, good grief!

14 hours ago, creed said:

Crossbow hunters will be killing significantly less deer in the new harvest than compound hunters due to sheer numbers.  Probably a  non significant amount.  The seasons will close due to young bucks being shot by  road hunters for the most part.   You guys whining about crossbow killers should perhaps focus on antler point restrictions if you’re so worried about  x bow  success.  That will keep the archery season open much longer than banning x  bows.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Heat said:

Recurve/ Longbow, good grief!

I know what they are , started with one. Not sure you did up on your soapbox …..figured the view was different from there

3 minutes ago, NOTAGS said:

I know what they are , started with one. Not sure you did up on your soapbox …..figured the view was different from there

Actually haven't shot my compound now in like 4 years. Didn't even bring it on my last bowhunt. I took up traditional archery again in my 40s quite a few years ago. Nice try though. I meant what I said, traditional seasons.

• Like 1