Sign in to follow this  
HighschoolHunter

Tonto creek at punkin center

I’m wondering if it’s possible to get to picture mountain and eventually the malicious gap road in 23 by crossing Tonto creek at punkin center, from the 22 side to the 23 side. It looks like that would be the fastest way there from Phoenix but I’ve never been there before and have no idea what Tonto creek looks like this time of year. Is there a bridge going across, or do you just have to hope that the creek isn’t too swollen? Has anyone ever done this before? 

Not sure what its labeled as in Punkin center.... but fr 609 will take you from the young rd ( Az Hwy 288) to punkin center.

there is no bridge, but you con cross the creek there.  We did it as a loop, and wound up coming home in the dark after adventures took us to the roosevelt lake overlook and indian cave.

If you mean ,what i think you mean. You'd better get the idea of this being a shortcut or fast route to travel.

Its been a few yrs. But that route your picking is at least a 5 hr. drive, if road conditions are fair to good.

I'd never drive it again,   If I didn't have to.

The desert part from pumpkin to picture shouldn't be too bad,  4x4 ing. But the rest is a coin flip as to road conditions. It seemed endless but had gone too far too turn back.

34 minutes ago, elkaholic said:

If you mean ,what i think you mean. You'd better get the idea of this being a shortcut or fast route to travel.

Its been a few yrs. But that route your picking is at least a 5 hr. drive, if road conditions are fair to good.

I'd never drive it again,   If I didn't have to.

The desert part from pumpkin to picture shouldn't be too bad,  4x4 ing. But the rest is a coin flip as to road conditions. It seemed endless but had gone too far too turn back.

I think you meant to say not a shortcut?

With all the rain this year it's probably rough