Sign in to follow this  
bigbuckclub

AZ Strip trail cam ban impact..?. and other thoughts?

On 10/17/2022 at 3:27 PM, bigbuckclub said:

Well... I got lucky and drew a 13A tag this year. I'm getting pretty excited. 

I am curious to people's thoughts on how the camera ban will play out for strip hunts. I know there are guides that are there anyway and will just spend more time behind the glass instead. 

I've heard from a few people that the archery hunts were pretty tough because of all the rain. Anyone else hear similar? 

I'm doing it DIY and have been in the unit before - but for a sheep hunt. Due to work and an archery elk tag I haven't been up there this year. My plan is to just get up there 5-6 days before the opener to look for deer and then get after it. 

I'm also open to general advice from anyone who has had the tag before... or pics of success to get the juices flowing! Lol

Go have fun, don't worry about cameras on your truck or camp or anti hunters trashing stuff. I spend 45-55 days a year on the strip, never seen or heard of any of that. We leave our camps alone, unlocked, 100 gallons plus of gas/water and never have had anything happen in fact never ran into anyone up there that wouldn't stop and help if stuck, broke down, lost or drive you back to your truck or town. 

Most 13A is not that remote and you can be to a paved road/gas in an hour. Bring some extra fuel, water and a spare.

The archery hunt was awesome, reminds me of how it used to be in pre camera days. We killed an amazing buck and only saw one other hunter drive by our camp. The rifle hunt will be good but don't expect giant bucks everywhere, antler growth is well below average and age class because of cameras is even worse. Give it 2-3 years and expect that place to be off the charts again. Next year should be great with 2 wet summers in a row, if we get a decent winter it'll be the tag to have. Best thing to happen for the Strip is the elimination of cameras, expect a fun hunt, tags reduced, hunters will be more spread out than the last 15 years, there are a couple true giants in 13A this year so best of luck. If you hit that true 190" mark as a DIY guy this year you did amazing.  

Good Luck

• Like 6

1 hour ago, jbone said:

Go have fun, don't worry about cameras on your truck or camp or anti hunters trashing stuff. I spend 45-55 days a year on the strip, never seen or heard of any of that. We leave our camps alone, unlocked, 100 gallons plus of gas/water and never have had anything happen in fact never ran into anyone up there that wouldn't stop and help if stuck, broke down, lost or drive you back to your truck or town. 

Most 13A is not that remote and you can be to a paved road/gas in an hour. Bring some extra fuel, water and a spare.

The archery hunt was awesome, reminds me of how it used to be in pre camera days. We killed an amazing buck and only saw one other hunter drive by our camp. The rifle hunt will be good but don't expect giant bucks everywhere, antler growth is well below average and age class because of cameras is even worse. Give it 2-3 years and expect that place to be off the charts again. Next year should be great with 2 wet summers in a row, if we get a decent winter it'll be the tag to have. Best thing to happen for the Strip is the elimination of cameras, expect a fun hunt, tags reduced, hunters will be more spread out than the last 15 years, there are a couple true giants in 13A this year so best of luck. If you hit that true 190" mark as a DIY guy this year you did amazing.  

Good Luck

Thanks! Appreciate it!