n2horns

Arca rail tripod shooting

I am thinking about having options to shooting using a bipod or install Arca rail and shoot off a tripod.  I have a pic rail upfront and shoot off bipod now.  They make picatinny to arca plate adapters and that way no drilling into stock, just use the existing rail.

Anyone using an Arca rail with a tripod for hunting and how do you like it compared to bipod?

https://www.predatorhunteroutdoors.com/index.php/product/cretac-picatinny-rail-to-arca-swiss-adapter/

https://stores.hogsaddle.com/hog-saddle-mod-7/

https://www.boghunt.com/pods/deathgrip-ultralite/1117132.html

How much more stable is an Arca mount vs "the claw" mounted in a stable head like the 701hdv?

Can you mount your optics  to the Arca adapter when out hunting?

Thanks!

Clamping rifle is less stable than direct mount. But, it depends on your expectations. Also, the tripod has as much to do with it. My tripod is rated for 80 pounds. 

Yes, I run my optics on the same tripod. 

I switched everything over to arca swiss about 2 years ago and am very happy I did. Quick switch from binos to spotter to camera or rifle.  If your tripod is study and your head doesn't flex your rifle will be solid. All my stuff has an arca swiss plate already on it. They come in all kinds of sizes so very adaptable. 

VERY important to have a solid head. I can't stress that enough. I thing that more than anything was the biggest upgrade for me. 

Easier and quicker to pop it in the arca swiss than it is to lock it into the saddle, plus one less thing to have to carry(and those pigsaddles are not lightweight).

I still use shooting sticks on the backend though for a rock solid setup.

The pigsaddles are nice and I had very few complaints, but one fewer element between the rifle and the tripod is more solid. The downside, is micro adjustments are a little more difficult once "locked in". The inherent  looseness of the pigsaddle gives a little more room for adjustment. That's good or bad depending on your point of view.

Also, manfrotto is NOT arca swiss. You can get adapter plates to attach to the manfrotto plates, but again, that is one more thing between your rifle and the mount. If you commit to arca swiss I highly recommend you get a head that is ARCA SWISS.

Make sure you do some shooting off tripod before going out. Especially if you think you might shoot standing up. I missed an easy shot on a cow elk this year    The shot went way high. I had my rifle dialed but from the bipod shooting prone. I never shot from the tripod before but at 300 yards I did not think it could be that much difference. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JSR said:

Make sure you do some shooting off tripod before going out. Especially if you think you might shoot standing up. I missed an easy shot on a cow elk this year    The shot went way high. I had my rifle dialed but from the bipod shooting prone. I never shot from the tripod before but at 300 yards I did not think it could be that much difference. 

100% true

recoil off a tripod will make you miss high unless you have good recoil management skills