Sign in to follow this  
az_runner

A new hunt experience for me

So, I’m with my 13yr son on Thursday evening in unit 7 scouting where we’ve seen some recent and bucks before.  You could hear a chopper off in the distance and all of a sudden, this guy just plops down about 75 yards from us, sits for 8 minutes and goes right back up. This was also right across from a burn area that we hunt too so I got a double gut punch.

Well, we didn’t see any deer around in what was turned into a temporary helipad over the next two days… rrrr. We still managed to have an awesome time out and put some crazy miles on the boots getting remote. Elk, pronghorn and does were in no short supply and must have had over 50+ does in sight on opening day, with no bucks to be found minus a funny little fork. It’s just insane how many does are in that unit. We hiked just over 18 miles in three days and glassed up or bumped at least 15 groups of does.

I’m going to try and get sick at work this week and head back up for a day or so with my son and hopefully fill his tag. I’m guessing by now all the decent deer in the area have gotten pushed way up and way out from where we’ve normally seen them.

chopper.jpg

• Like 1

That’s interesting…helicopters coming and going a lot? Wonder if they were training or something else going on. Good luck if you make it out again!

I seem to recall a post somewhere that AZGFD was going to be doing some helicopter game surveys.  I do not recall the unit or days.  (crs afflicted)