Sign in to follow this  
Chef

Cooper Model 52

Several months back I was considering a new rifle for deer sized game.

I wanted a 60 degree bolt throw and a reputation for accuracy.

Doug turned me on to Cooper Arms and more specifically, the .280 Ackley Improved.

Nosler offers brass and ammunition for this caliber so those would be no issue in acquiring.

I began online research and concluded that this would be my next rifle.

I placed an order for an Excalibur from Hendershot's Sporting Goods Inc., this was seven months ago and now the rifle is here.

Topped it off with a Zeiss Conquest and I'm off to Usery Range.

I drove all the way out, and walked into a jam packed parking lot.

I endured a twenty five minute wait for a bench and the wind starts to pick up.

I contemplated leaving as this wasn't my cup of tea but decided to endure the masses.

Did I mention the auto loader crowd spraying hot brass all over others?...fun!

I sight her in and could only bear to shoot one group before getting the heck out of dodge.

Two shot group before adjusting POA to the right. Three shot group to the right.

Nosler Custom factory ammo 140 grain AccuBonds 100 yards, no cooling between the five shot string.

post-67-1226356332_thumb.jpg

post-67-1226356361_thumb.jpg

I'll spend some more ammo soon to have brass then start reloading with 130 grainers.

I'll keep you guys posted!

post-67-1226263811.jpg "Thanks Doug!"

Looks like a sweet gun, and a shooter! Bet ya cant wait to get out again.

WOW! that's a great shooting and great looking rig! I have been partial to the 280 Rem. cartridge for more years than I like to admit to! Had Jensen's Custom Ammo put a Douglas barrel on a Mark X action back in the 70's... I did the stock work, and it ended up with a Brown Precision fiberglass stock... I feed it 140gr Nosler Partitions with a heavy dose of IMR 4350. At 3000 FPS it's deadly. It was my first "Semi-Custom" rifle. I've carried it many a mile and it was "My" rifle for years. I still have it and always will... the kids can fight over it. ;>)

Just wondering, what power Zeiss Conquest did you choose? Did you go for the Rapid Z reticle? They are sweet! I'm thinking of changing out the Leupold VXIII 2.5 - 8x I've had on it for years with the Conquest 3.5-10x44 with the 600 Yd. Rapid Z.

I hope you enjoy your 280 as much as I have mine... D.D.

Thanks for the comments guys.

DD, I bought the Conquest 4.5-14x44 with parallax adjustment and Z Plex reticle.

I also have a 3.5-10x44 with a Z Plex reticle on a 7MM mag.

I considered the Rapid Z but those fancy reticles are too "busy" for me.

I wasn't sure about trusting the set points on different loads either.

Great concept though, as I considered the B&C reticle too, but it was also too "busy"

Tim, yeah I can't wait to get out again, when the crowds die down a bit. (if they ever do)

Wasn't it Cooper Arms that endeared itself with firearms enthusiasts across the USA forever when its founder announced he supported Obama for president?

Bill Quimby

Yup, that would be them Bill.

There was a thread about just that last week on here.

http://forums.coueswhitetail.com/forums/in...showtopic=10954

It definitely takes the "shine" off this purchase.

I'm just happy the gun shoots.

Can't blame a rifle for its maker's political views. Hope it continues to shoot well and fills all of your tags.

Bill Quimby

Hector,

That looks like a fine rifle and not too shab for the first 5 shots under questionable conditions. What load did the test target from Cooper use?

You could have Zeiss put some turrets on the scope and you'll be good to go, sans any confusing/busy reticle that requires the highest magnification to work. Casey (firstcoues) or Larry (Scout'm) can give you the details on having that done.

As Bill said, hope it continues to treat you well.

Doug

Doug,

Thanks for the kind words.

I know you love nice wood, and the Coopers are known for that, but I opted for synthetic.

I still think she's purdy!

I was thinking about trying to duplicate the load used for the three shot test target,

but have decided against it since I will be hunting with this rifle and have no need for

super tight groups with bullets I would never use on game. They used Speer boat tail

hollow point Match Kings. I'll try some Hornady 139 grain Interbonds first and see

how she likes em.

I do think I will go the custom turret route also. I like that set up.

I saw Casey's and he says they are awesome.

Here is the test target from Cooper. I think they shoot at 50 yards.

post-67-1226456635_thumb.jpg

Nice looking rifle for sure and looks like quite the shooter.

As RR said I sent my conquest in to have the turrets replaced with target style turrets...they are amazing.

I did have a little problem with the scope not related to the turrets though. I called Zeiss service center, they had me send it back to them, they called the day after they received it and said that they could ship me a brand new scope next day if I would accept one with a different reticle. I took a look at the reticle on their web site and it looked good so I agreed. I recieved the scope back the other day. I mounted it today and will be taking it shooting tomorrow.

If you are going to do any long-range shooting I highly recommend having the turrets changed out.

Larry,

What reticle did you get instead? Did they have an explanation for the cause of the defect? Enjoy shooting tomorrow.

Doug~RR

It's reticle 43. See below. I'm not sure I have it entirely correct but what i understand is with the Zeiss scope the reticle is on the second image plane so the reticle does not change size as the magnification is increased. It is however effected by the reduced field of view at higher magnification levels. So with my scope the "smug" we could see at low magnification was on the edge of Reticle plane and as the magnifcation increased the smug moved outside the field of view. They told me the smug occurred during orginal manufacturing and had nothing to do with changing out the turrets - I can't say if that's true or not but then that doesn't really matter as I have a new scope now. I just need to do some reading up on how to use this new Reticle - they told me it's their fastest growing reticle choice - If I don't like it they can change it to a different style for $50.00.

post-1361-1228624263.gif

Hector, turrets are amazing! I have used them since 2006 and love them! I have taken my past 3 Arizona coues with the, including the 2x4 at 571 yards. They are simply amazing!