bowhunter-tw

Ar case swipe help

I am loading for a 6mm grendel and getting some very heavy case swipes, it is creating a bur / extractor plunger mark. These loads shouldnt be too high for this cartridge but maybe? Are there other things that could be causing this? Ive got an H1 buffer. Gas timed with suppressor. Any help appreciated

80gr sp 28-28.6 gr tac all loads showed marks

58gr vmax 31-32gr AA2230 all showed marks 32 gr heavy mark and bur

Make sure your overall length is to the book and not too long. If you are crimping, try a couple without a crimp and single feed them by hand to make sure the bullet doesn't move. Maybe also try it without the suppressor.

1 hour ago, Azdiy said:

Make sure your overall length is to the book and not too long. If you are crimping, try a couple without a crimp and single feed them by hand to make sure the bullet doesn't move. Maybe also try it without the suppressor.

I’ll double check length. These were un crimped. I can try un suppressed but if it wont shoot suppressed its not worth shooting for my intent. It just seems odd not to be able to reach published velocities and already show pressure signs. The primers look a little cratered also. I guess I was wondering if gas timing or buffer weight would affect pressure signs?

Understood about the suppressor, but it wouldn't hurt to try one or two just to try to isolate the problem. Maybe concentrate on the 80 grain bullets since that chamber is throated for heavier bullets. Check your case length and maybe bump the shoulder back four or five thousandths just to try to get to a baseline. Generally a longer bullet jump has less pressure, that's why the 556 NATO chamber will handle the hotter 556 ammo because it has a longer throat than the wilde chamber or the 223 chamber. I don't know much about buffer weight and gas pressures affecting that.

It sounds like more of a timing issue or a pin issue. Back in the day there was info floating around about sharp edges on pins causing swipe marks on very tame loads. Check your pin. Maybe try a new pin or bcg to see if it changes.

Timing can also cause swipes. 

You say it is timed but timing changes with each load. 

Your 58g. loads are on the maximum side but your 80g. loads are middle of the road. With that long freebore I would think the only thing left is excessive shoulder bump. 

How much are you bumping shoulder?