IA Born

Custom 6.5 WSM FS

I'm selling my custom 6.5 WSM.  For those of you not familiar, its a wildcat round (.270 WSM necked down to 6.5mm).  When the round was first developed, it was referred to as the 6.5-300WSM because most folks used .300WSM brass and went through a 2-step process to resize the neck.  That caused me all sorts of problems as I learned to load for a wildcat round and I had to have it re-barreled a couple of years ago.  Now everything is much simpler process necking .270 WSM down to 6.5, leaving out the intermediate step from .300WSM down.

Its built on a Winchester pre-64 Mod 70 action and has a Pac-Nor 25" barrel with a 1:8" twist and a Vais brake.  Its on a McMillan stock.  I've put less than 50 rounds down the new barrel to break it in and do load development.  I've never had the rifle/barrel in the field on a hunt; only to the range for sighting in and load development.  It currently has two different loads of H1000/Barnes 127gr LRX that shoot 1/2" or less.  Custom Hornady dies, all once-fired/annealed brass (66 pcs of Winchester.270 WSM resized to 6.5 and neck turned to fit perfect), 13 un-resized/turned pieces of .270 WSM brass, Leupold Dual Dovetail bases, and a custom Hornady Lock-n-Load modified case for seating depth measurements.  All load data for Barnes 127gr LRX included (both H1000 loads).  Also willing to carve out the time to resize, neck turn, trim, and anneal the remaining 13 pieces of brass.  Its been a fun rifle after I figured out the brass and nature of it being a Wildcat, but I realized I want to go to Mexico to chase Coues in the near future and can't take it with me since the barrel and brass don't match. I'm going a different route, so I figured I'd offer this up to another Coues chaser here. In Flagstaff, but can meet halfway or make a special trip to the Valley if needed.  Hoping to be down there mountain biking after javelina season. 

I'm taking a loss on this after re-barreling it.  Asking $2300 OBO for the whole package.

65WSM3.thumb.jpg.651491dcf4a388e6e3df3b5f38989d3d.jpg

65WSM2.thumb.jpg.ce9ab6e5e88fab4f6de0f57e92c5bcd8.jpg 

65WSM.thumb.jpg.a34f0e4b6a0db1bf454e5e8f97051c8d.jpg

65WSM_Dies2.thumb.jpg.c00ba7c4f72627a5361bc6c9ce93800b.jpg

65WSM_Dies.thumb.jpg.09ba5124af0594cbd8675816f9aa1c5f.jpg

122417678_65WSMBrass.thumb.jpg.022102e6579bf782ac447768b621a890.jpg

Good morning,  or, order some 6.5 WSM stamped brass from Bertram..that's what I did with mine. Good luck with the sale Sr.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ernesto C said:

Good morning,  or, order some 6.5 WSM stamped brass from Bertram..that's what I did with mine. Good luck with the sale Sr.

I actually looked into that a while back after I saw you had the same round!  I saw mixed reviews of the quality, but that was a quick search without much focus.  How is the quality of your brass? 

In reality, I'm just ready to move to a different rifle.  Turns out, I'm not much of a wildcat round person when it comes to rifles.

12 minutes ago, WT hunter said:

Just take the barrel off and go with another cartridge. With a mag. Bolt face like a 7 NOSLER ?

I'm going a completely different route and using the sale of this to fund a different project.  It crossed my mind, but I'm ready for something different.

I have 2 of that cal. I went with a 9 twist wish I had a 8 twist but that was like 10 years ago I started messing with that cal good luck  with your sale  I will pass the word out you have it for sale to my all of my friends 

David 

• Like 1

Thanks!  Like everything, I have my list price and what I'll take price.

4 hours ago, IA Born said:

I actually looked into that a while back after I saw you had the same round!  I saw mixed reviews of the quality, but that was a quick search without much focus.  How is the quality of your brass? 

In reality, I'm just ready to move to a different rifle.  Turns out, I'm not much of a wildcat round person when it comes to rifles.

I like the brass. What I had to do with mine was to turn the necks which I don't mine since it helps with accuracy. Also using H1000, CCI 250's. I tested the Nosler LR Accubonds 140's and the Hornady 143 ELD-Xs but my rifle really liked the 143's @3140 fps.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ernesto C said:

I like the brass. What I had to do with mine was to turn the necks which I don't mine since it helps with accuracy. Also using H1000, CCI 250's. I tested the Nosler LR Accubonds 140's and the Hornady 143 ELD-Xs but my rifle really liked the 143's @3140 fps.

Good to know!  Mine loves H1000 and Barnes 127 LRX with Federal GM215Ms.  I'm just ready to go another direction.

• Like 1

TTT

11 minutes ago, WT hunter said:

There brass really went up in price

Since I bought the first 200 pieces 

Not only theirs... all the brass and all the reloading components from everyone else went up in price 40 to 60%. Covid is the excuse that everyone used and still use.

1 hour ago, Red Rabbit said:

Great chambering based on my personal experience.   If anyone is looking for Bertram brass, its coming soon.  https://bertrambrass.com/shop-1/ols/products/65-wsm-winchester-short-magnum

Bump and good luck with the sale.

Thanks, buddy!  I appreciate all the help and insight you gave me with this rifle.  It certainly helped build my confidence with a wildcat round and love the rifle and round.  Just time for me to go a different direction.  

I will entertain reasonable offers, too.

Price drop.  $2500