Sign in to follow this  
Non-Typical Solutions

In anticipation of upcoming ventures!

Those are cool deadheads! Is the one on the right the same buck as your profile photo?

13 minutes ago, campmeat said:

Those are cool deadheads! Is the one on the right the same buck as your profile photo?

It is the same buck, we hunted in there for 2 years trying to catch up with him and then a buddy of mine that knew we were hunting him found the dead head and brought it to me and gave it to me.

The one on the left was in the same area, his left side burnt from the Wallow Fire................

7 hours ago, Non-Typical Solutions said:

It is the same buck, we hunted in there for 2 years trying to catch up with him and then a buddy of mine that knew we were hunting him found the dead head and brought it to me and gave it to me.

The one on the left was in the same area, his left side burnt from the Wallow Fire................

That sucks hes a sweat buck! A buddy and I hunted this big buck we called Boss for a few years. We had him on trail camera growing and then he vanished and never came back after the off season  . We scouted that area and never found him , maybe another hunter was lucky to tag him or maybe we over looked him .

19 hours ago, Little Creek Calls said:

I have made several turkey call strikers using bug hole wood. It nice to use the wood and not just throw it away or burn it. I have mainly done it with mesquite wood.

m2_zps3638b436.jpg

I struggle with throwing wood away :) and I have always enjoyed seeing your craft and admire the fact that you can run one of those and get results.

That dead head is from the wallow fire and the lumber is from the rodeo chediski fire.............kind of a unique combo!!!

A few years back I made a mesquite slab table for my wife’s plants and cut some mesquite logs for the legs. My wife liked the look of the live edge on the legs even though there were some bug holes in the sap wood. When cutting, plaining and sanding the wood for the legs lots of beetle larva came out of the woodwork. Put on lots finish and didn’t think much of it. Then every year for the first year or two we would get a beetle or two that would burrow there way out of the legs and show up on the floor under the table.

IMG_20190223_130314.jpg

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Little Creek Calls said:

A few years back I made a mesquite slab table for my wife’s plants and cut some mesquite logs for the legs. My wife liked the look of the live edge on the legs even though there were some bug holes in the sap wood. When cutting, plaining and sanding the wood for the legs lots of beetle larva came out of the woodwork. Put on lots finish and didn’t think much of it. Then every year for the first year or two we would get a beetle or two that would burrow there way out of the legs and show up on the floor under the table.

IMG_20190223_130314.jpg

I have experienced similar encounters with bugs......carpenter bees in oose poles etc.............nice looking table and dang.....mesquite slab??? Unreal!!!

Don't you teach Woodshop at Snowflake High? I graduated a Lobo. Thanks for continuing to teach a usable skill to the newer generation of kids. Its nice to see some of the kids take interest in something other than video games and YouTube.  

16 minutes ago, Little Creek Calls said:

Don't you teach Woodshop at Snowflake High? I graduated a Lobo. Thanks for continuing to teach a usable skill to the newer generation of kids. Its nice to see some of the kids take interest in something other than video games and YouTube.  

I'm still here at the Jr. High, took over after Dan DeWitt retired. It is interesting the past couple of years how all the sudden everybody was needing carpenters and couldn't find them. In a world where education is getting hammered I have a great job!!! Enjoy most days!!! what year did you graduate?

Fall of 95 was my first year at the Jr. High and you must have had Dan.......interesting story my first year.

I had to have the maintenance crew come in and re wire the shop because if I turned on more than one machine at a time it blew a breaker.

If you were to walk into my room today there are multiple power machines and tools being operated at one time.....one of them being a vibrate sander. I have visited with enough old timers to know that it was hand sanding for Mr. Sand some more......