COOSEFAN

GTT-Jr. get's his first buck!

A close friend of mine, Bret (GTT), took his boy, Jakob, on his deer hunt which started the same time as mine last week. As I was sending text with my progress to him, he was sending text messages back to me with their progress......we were cheerin' each other on! I've known Jakob since he was born and we all were excited for the day when he would take his first buck.......and that day finally came last Sunday! I couldn't wait any longer for Bret to get the story and pics up, and I know he's busy, so here it is in Bret's words. Congratulations Jakob, you stuck with it and did it like a pro, you know I'm proud of ya, your buck is 4 times bigger than my first buck! :P JIM>

Taken from Bret's email.........

"Hey everyone, Got back from Jakob's 2nd deer hunt on Sunday afternoon.Opening day found us driving up high on a ridge glassing some country we had seen alot of deer last year.The water hole we found in there last year was dry & we only came up with 7 does & no bucks that morning.Back to camp for some lunch & back out for the evening hunt farther up the ridge this time where we knew there was water.We came across a truck,quad,& 2 polaris rangers already back in there.We parked past them & took off on foot anyway. As soon as we got to a good vantage point I started to glass & saw 2 forkies about a mile away & 2 hunters walking right past them! We hurried over to try & get a shot but couldn't relocate the bucks before dark.

Day 2 we went back to our 1st spot & glassed up 9 does & no bucks. We hiked about a mile in to glass some hidden draws but only found 2 more does. We headed out for lunch & then to a new spot for the evening. We went to one of our traditional spots early afternoon but decided to leave because all the people. We ended up back by our original spot around 4:30 & started to glass some new country. It wasn't long before I had a big 2 point feeding in the shade of a high north facing slope! We hurried to get in position for a shot with only about 45 minutes of light left. After climbing steep rocky ridges & fighting cactus we finally were across from where we last saw the buck.Right away I see him walking up the ridge away from us because we had spooked some cows on the ridge below the buck.Jakob got set up with his .243 on a bipod, I ranged the buck at 180 yds. & he let the 1st bullet go...boom! the buck takes 2 steps & stops...reload! boom! then the he disappears behind some trees. We went over to look for the buck & any sign of a hit but couldn't find anything. By this time it's dark & we had a mile hike out to the truck. Very disappointed but not giving up hope we would be back at 1st light to look again.

Day 3 we were glassing the entire hill side looking for any sign of that buck but came up with no deer at all. Around 7:00 we decided to hike back up in there & get directly across from the last place we saw the deer. As soon as we toped out on the ridge I could see back up in a hidden draw & spotted Jakob's deer!...200 yds. from where he was last night! Guess he missed the night before....probably buck fever, I don't know where he get's that from...lol. Jakob got set up again with the bipod & I ranged the buck at 280 yds.I asked him if he wanted to try & get closer & he said " no...I can take him from here".So he settles in & boom! the buck takes 2 steps up hill & stops...reload! boom! the buck goes down but all I can see is his head & he's still alive!...put the cross hairs right on his head & squeeze the trigger...boom! The buck flips out of his bed & rolls down the hill right into a prickly pear patch where he lay for good! I had him aim at the head because the gun was sighted in at 200 yds. & I knew the bullet would drop into the bucks chest. After all the high 5's, hugs, a 1 hour photo shoot, & deboning the buck...we packed him off the mountain & were back to the truck around 11:30.

Jakob was exited to get up every morning, always stayed right with me on those long hikes & never complained,had a positive attitude,made some great shots & got it done when it mattered most at 280 yds!!!!. By the way...Jakob's buck is bigger than anything his dad's ever got & I didn't get my 1st buck until I was 16! He's on a roll...a javelina in January & now a deer! Great job buddy...I'm so proud of you! ...........................

...........I'm sure you noticed but I forgot to mention what we thought was a big 2 point turned out to be a big ol' 3x2 with eye guards! Funny thing is...Jakob told me he thought he was a 3 point that night he shot at him & I said that's probably why you missed...your not supposed to look at the rack! LOL!!!! "

Thanks,Bret

Jakobs1stdeer11-23-080223.jpg

Jakobs1stdeer11-23-080102.jpg

That is a big ol' buck Jakob, I'm super proud of ya and can't wait to see what you tag next! Freakin' awesome pic's too dad! JIM>

Thats a great deer!!! I wish I coul dhave been out hunting at that age. Congrats on a great hunt and getting quality father son time in!

EXCELLENT Jakob!!! Great job!!

Brett, there is nothing like hunting with your kids!! Congrats!!

Mark

Thanks for posting the story & pic's for us Jim....sorry I wasn't fast enough for ya!...lol.... Yes, it was a very special day that I have waited 11 years for....& it was worth the wait! I'm so proud of the hunter & young man Jakob has become. Around day 2 I was getting a little discouraged & Jakob told me...."I'm having a great time dad & a getting a buck would just be a bonus"....that's my boy. Thanks for all the comments we really appreciate it........Bret & Jakob

096.jpg