ultrahunter

Newbie with questions

If you think your getting it for asking about an area stay away from the POLITICAL DISCUSSION forum. There you are just fresh meat. I dont hunt coues as much as some people on the site, but what I have seen on my few coues hunts is plan on glassing a lot cause you can't see them ten feet in front of you. Just spend a lot of time looking under trees is my only advice. Threre not called the grey ghost for nothing.

But Don't bash the deer cause those suckers are hard to hunt. They are challenging which is what makes them addictive to hunt and dont take offense to these guys they love the sport and your bound to get it every now and then.

Oh yeah about e-scouting try google maps they have that terrain feature thats helpful sometimes to see an area. Plus looking at the satellite images over that same area will help you lots. Thats what I have used in 3C to look for areas that look good and then to see if they have been burned by fire. Helps since its a lot of area to cover helps to reduce the area you have to cover when time scouting is limited.

Welcome to the site if your still here :lol: !

No. I'm just kidding about the deer. I have a huge respect for them, and I'm already addicted-and I've never even seen one!!! That's why I'm even attempting to bow hunt them. I know I'll probably come back to Unit 2 with my tail between my legs, but that's what drives me. I just had to give these guys a kidney shot while I had the chance :P . I've learned quickly that the best defense is a good offense. :lol:

Ultrahunter,

Welcome! I have hunted NM 23 for rifle coues, but not 24. I hear the country is a little thicker with tree and the population a little less dense. You might try glassing to find a buck chasing does, then putting on the stalk. Look at the south feeding slopes early in the morning, and north beding areas during the day. If you lose them during the stalk, then possibly try to rattle and grunt. I would think that just rattling anywhere without knowing a buck is in the area may just get a bunch of fruitless calling stands due to the low densiities, unlike eastern whitetail.

If you find a good trail through a saddle, you might consider SLOWLY still hunting along side it.

You might consider the scouting services of Tommy Maldonado's Gila Wilderness Hunting Service

http://www.gilawildernesshunting.com/

Have you talked with the wildlife manager for that unit?

I was lucky to draw a 2C tag as a NR several years ago. Nice country.

Doug~RR

PS. Thanks for the info :D . You ever draw 2 again let me know.

ultrahunter dont get ur feelings hurt all these low landers do is rag on the guy that asks for a little help and steal from each other but they say they hunt like brothers.

Ultrahunter, go into the thick steep stuff north of Silver City. Look for areas with the deer sign and rattle 'em in.

Ultrahunter,

Welcome to the site and don't let a few neg. sounding opinions keep you away from the best whitetail site on the web. Red Rabbit gave alot of good advice and I also agree that you should look at google earth. I never hunted in NM but I hear you have some good country. If you're in alot of pine country I would suggest you look at saddles. It seems to attract them here in AZ. Follow a trail and hopefully you will come to an intersection of several. This is one of my favrite ways to find a spot for a trail cam. If you got some open country then glassing is the way to go. Keep us posted on your hunt and good luck. :)

TJ