Sign in to follow this  
Savageman2506

Crappie/Yellow Bass in Lake Mary?

I know they're in there, what methods do you guys use to target them? I've fished my entire life and have never caught either species. I took a few trips specifically targeting crappie but came up short every time. 

Is there a specific part of the lake thats better over another? Or is it just a matter of trying spots until you land on them?

5 hours ago, Adicted said:

Didnt lake mary lose all its water 

no, lower lake mary had a levee burst, but a lower levee contained the burst. 

Lower Lake doesn't have any fish in it anyways, except for probably a few unlucky ones who got sucked over the spillway. Upper Lake is where the fish are now.

5 hours ago, oz31p said:

I’ve caught crappie at the dam with 1/16jigs tipped with red worms in june

I gave it a shot at a few spots today with small spinners, but I think the water is still cold, and I don't know what I'm doing. I will probably try it again next week if I get a chance.

7 hours ago, eastvalleyjerry said:

I have caught them on top water poppers at that lake. Walley too.

That's awesome.

I went out last weekend and putted around for a few hours, casting different spoons, kastmasters, spinners etc but no luck. Not sure what lures people use to target different species, what water depths etc so I just tried spots that seemed to offer some structure. I shouldve taken pictures of the lake when it was lower so I could reference structure spots near shore for spawning.

I'll have to try again sometime, before the roads all open and the people start coming up in droves from the valley.

21 hours ago, Savageman2506 said:

That's awesome.

I went out last weekend and putted around for a few hours, casting different spoons, kastmasters, spinners etc but no luck. Not sure what lures people use to target different species, what water depths etc so I just tried spots that seemed to offer some structure. I shouldve taken pictures of the lake when it was lower so I could reference structure spots near shore for spawning.

I'll have to try again sometime, before the roads all open and the people start coming up in droves from the valley.

Anywhere on the shoreline from the dam to the pumphouse. Small jigs, 8-10" under a bobber, no further than 10 yards off shore. Slowly reel in. No structures needed. April through all summer. New water level might impact this. Good luck. 

• Like 2

Thanks for the tip. I'm going to get some small jigs today and try this tomorrow/Saturday. 

I will post pictures if I do any good.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Savageman2506 said:

Thanks for the tip. I'm going to get some small jigs today and try this tomorrow/Saturday. 

I will post pictures if I do any good.

We caught them with jigs tipped with red worms 24 inches under bobbers if is choppy let them sit if still reel in slow

• Like 1

Well, goose egg again. I fished for a few hours, tried two or three spots on the dam side of the lake. I didn't even get a bite. 

I guess the panfish know I'm a trout fisherman 😂

• Haha 1