mountaingoat

Late Nov success

Here are a few pictures of our success this past week. These deer are from unit 33. WThey are not the deer that we had picked out but we all had a blast hunting in there anyway. They are nice and fat and delicious. One of these deer were found in a most peculiar way. I was glassing a hillside that I had seen some good bucks on, waiting for one of them to come out and present themselves to me, when all of a sudden the canyon bottom erupted with movement. There was so much movement that it caught me off guard. Out of the trees and bushes came coatimundi. They started moving across the bottom of the canyon and I counted just over 70! I couldn't believe it. I watched them hoping that they might jump something off the bottom. Sure enough they did. I heard one of the coati get really aggressive with something, then out jumped a little 2x2. It was only 150 yards away, just standing there defeated out of his bed. The deer walked off and found a new bed. The coati continued up the canyon. My brother was on the next finger over from me. He saw the coati and was watching in amazment because of the number of them when they attacked something in the bushes. Out came a 3x3. It stood there as if this encounter was not a new thing. My brother had a 125 yard shot. He made a great shot and it didnt even take a step. So he got his deer with the help of the coatimundi.

The other 3 deer did not have near as bizarre of a story. We just glassed them up on the sides of hills. The only thing was packing 4 deer out 5 miles of rough country along with our tents and sleeping bags and gear.

post-3029-1228369523_thumb.jpg

post-3029-1228369633_thumb.jpg

post-3029-1228369734_thumb.jpg

post-3029-1228369985_thumb.jpg

Gr8white JR was down in 33 for the late nov. hunt and ran into a huge group of Coati also....

He ended up taking one as well!

We'll be hunting there again next year.

I pulled a nice 4x4 out of there last year.

we were up near Bellota ranch, right off of redington pass rd.....where were you guys?

i really wish i woulda gone with man. congrats to all you guys. i love it that jordan shot the biggest one.

Congrats!!

I just got back from unit 33. I glassed up 25 deer in 3-days......... ALL DOES!!!!!! not one stinkin buck, not one!!

I think it's the late hunt or nothin' for me from now on.

Great bucks, looks like you guys really tagged out nicely! And cool story with the coati, thanks for sharing!

Your story reminds me of once I was archery javelina hunting, and fell asleep down in a wide wash in the middle of the day. Next thing I know, I hear rocks turning and light footsteps all around me! Some coati were less then 5 yards from me! They were eating small insects under the rocks and turning them over, noisy as heck! I grab my bow and see coatimundi all around me 360 degrees, there must have been 30 of them passing through and I was directly in the middle. By the time I drew back and aimed, they were moving quickly through, and I only grazed one's back with a broadhead. :( But they also moved a heard of javelina out of the bottom of the same thick wash and we ended up tagging two of the javelina thanks to the coati!