Sign in to follow this  
Norteno

Cashing in points for late 23 coues tag

If things go as planned I’ll be hunting coues in December this year.  

Who has hunted this unit for coues and what can I expect?  

My expectations are to get a respectable first coues to hang in the wall and share the hunt with my Dad and boys.  

A respectable coues can be had for fewer points. 23 is awesome, hold out for a good one. Only hunted it once, we didn't see a ton of deer but almost 1:1 buck to doe ratio. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

A respectable coues can be had for fewer points. 23 is awesome, hold out for a good one. Only hunted it once, we didn't see a ton of deer but almost 1:1 buck to doe ratio. 

from what I've been told densities are low, but if you scout hard and hunt hard a very good chance of finding a mature coues buck, especially in the hard to access areas. That's all second hand knowledge though, never even set foot in the unit personally.

• Like 1

Expect a lot of glassing. Lots less deer overall then the southern units but there are big bucks in 23. You just gotta hit it hard.  How many points you gonna burn? 

I would expect a lot of glassing with little results. A lot of this unit is rugged and thick. Because of the ruggedness you wind up with multiple party’s a the same access point even on the late hunts