Tony Nile

Any geologists or similar in here?

My son and I came across these holes in 4b NW of drylake and wonder what caused them. The one on the right which the road wraps around is about 100 yards in diameter, didn't think to measure the depth, but they are deep, not just slight depressions. 

Screenshot_20230529_153401.thumb.jpg.9544d61ce22e5722ddad50737f73cbf8.jpg

Screenshot_20230529_154439.thumb.jpg.0aded201a6c5fb1a9435efc619de0524.jpg

Not too familiar with the area but I'm going with a Cienega sinkhole.

Sinkholes formed by the collapse of the overlaying Kaibab limestone. The McCauley Sinks south of Winslow is another cluster. 

Those are everywhere in that country. From east of Meteor Crater, heading south of Winslow and east and south past Holbrook. Some fascinating geology throughout the region. Sinkholes, fissures and fractures. 

IMG_1088.jpeg.7683a7941bf6c6e188b34ca6508f4640.jpeg

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Newbie2012 said:

Sinkholes formed by the collapse of the overlaying Kaibab limestone. The McCauley Sinks south of Winslow is another cluster. 

Those are everywhere in that country. From east of Meteor Crater, heading south of Winslow and east and south past Holbrook. Some fascinating geology throughout the region. Sinkholes, fissures and fractures. 

IMG_1088.jpeg.7683a7941bf6c6e188b34ca6508f4640.jpeg

SE AZ too

• Like 1

Sinkholes - there is one out there that snowflake high school used to actually hall a piano down into and they did performed school plays out there because the acoustics was so good- carved in the rocks at the bottom is the name of the plays and the dates …. I can’t remember the dates 1940’s idk I can’t remember it’s been a few years since I’ve taken anyone to it and looked at it ….. but it’s pretty cool - I can’t image how they got a piano to the bottom of it . 

• Like 1