Sign in to follow this  
backcountry_brad

Waterfowl regs- duck limits

Maybe this is a dumb question but I haven’t ever done any serious duck hunting but want to this fall. Going through the regs book and looking at the limits I don’t see anything listed for teal, wood ducks, wigeons and more. Am I missing something? Can these species not be hunted? I just went through the last decade of posts on here and have seen species taken that aren’t listed under the bag limit. I called game and fish and the lady that answered didn’t have an answer so please educate me

302E4617-1144-4168-8FB2-9D8A4E676779.jpeg

The "Ducks" part of "Ducks including..." is lumping all ducks, including teal, wood ducks, and wigeons into one general category without listing every species.  The "including mergansers, coots and gallinules..." part of "Ducks including..." is lumping those taxa into/as ducks for the sake of classifying legal wildlife.  Taxonomically speaking, mergansers, coots, and gallinules are not ducks in the traditional sense.  They are in a different family group from ducks, but they are still huntable waterfowl under Federal waterfowl regulations.

• Like 2

All are in play for the daily bag limit of 7, just restrictions for several species and the mallard limit changes year to year so I think the species is hard coded and just change the number preceding if it needs to and then additional bag limit for other non-duck waterfowl species like coots. 

• Like 2

so in years past there were different dates for mountain zones and desert zones. So all zones are the same dates now?

jlwIMG-3193.thumb.jpg.856cf47535b805030c9345c2be4567b3.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JLW said:

so in years past there were different dates for mountain zones and desert zones. So all zones are the same dates now?

jlwIMG-3193.thumb.jpg.856cf47535b805030c9345c2be4567b3.jpg

Looks like it. Kind of a bummer for us up north. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thegunsmith2506 said:

Looks like it. Kind of a bummer for us up north. 

Yes, but now you have a significant number of yahoos not skyblasting your early season birds everywhere.

• Like 1