Sign in to follow this  
IHunt2live

Morning Mearns

I should have been studying for 3 finals I have next week but a man has needs! So my dad and I went out looking for meaerns. I’m still trying to locate some good spots for mearns so I had a general idea were I wanted to go then I saw a spot I liked then hunt it. Took a little while but we eventually found some birds. once we got into them we did pretty good. I felt bad because my dad didn't have nearly as many chances as I did. My dogs seem to like to hunt around me and my dad isn't quick enough but he got some shooting in.

My shorthair, Dewey, is FINALLY getting I think, he had several soild points. each time he goes out hes getting better and better. Sure he bumps birds here and there but hes learning. We had one covey that Dewey had a soft point on, Ginger, my other pup, goes on point 40 yards away and dewey relocates and locks up soild right along ginger. I try to get my dad into a good spot for a shot but about 10+ birds get up and had strait at me. I could have knocked some out of the sky with the barrel of my gun. I LOVE MEARNS. One did peal off tawards my dad and had the same thing happen, going strait at him and as he tryig to swing the gun over his head he loses his footing and falls to the ground. It was a great time.

I feel so much relief seeing my shorthair finally coming on. its taken him a while but he will get it.

Here are a few pics, enjoy.

post-1770-1229205416_thumb.jpg

post-1770-1229205438_thumb.jpg

I didn't even notice the bird in the first pic till a second ago. Can you see it?

Now that you mention it, I can. The dogs bumped them up I take it?

Amanda

They did their job, they held point long enough for us to get up there. Under that tree was all tourn up from them digging. That must have been the first one to get up out of about 10 in the covey. Couldn't put down the camera fast enough and put my gun up for a shot. I made up for it by getting a few singles. :)

Nice take...

we went out today and were blasted with high winds that got worse as the day wore on.. ended up with 10 birds between 2 of us and 7 covey finds by the dogs... not the best day out there, but better than being at work!!

Hello All,

this is my first post so excuse me if mess up your conversation. I'm in town all week for a wedding and was scheduled get out for a quail hunt the days my wife has "girl plans" I don't have a gun or a dog just the desire to hunt some birds. We are from Colorado and I had arranged for a guide to take me out two days this week and he had to cancel. I have called a couple other guides and they are all booked. One did suggest I post on this site to see if someone was willing to let me tag along on a hunt and borrow a gun. I tried unsuccessfully to hunt coues deer in the chiricahas a couple times in the mid 90's with my father-in-law and only saw those little quail. I have always wanted to try and get one but never seem to have the time. Wedding is Sunday and then its back to the cold. Any takers would be greatly appreciated.

Hey Mike that looks like a lot of fun. If you ever want some company when you go hunt those little guys let me know I'd love to give it a try. And how'd the final go for ya?

Hey Mike that looks like a lot of fun. If you ever want some company when you go hunt those little guys let me know I'd love to give it a try. And how'd the final go for ya?

Will do. And about the final... sucked as bad as all his tests but I think I did ok.