Sign in to follow this  
CouesWhitetail

Welcome Timberland Outfitters!!

Hi All,

I am pleased to announce that Timberland Outfitters has just become our newest sponsor. You guys already know the owner/operator Lance Crowther (he goes by Lance in the forum). Lance and his wife are the ones who organize the Marshall Lake CouesWhitetail.com weekend get-together. They do a great job bringing people together up there and making it a fun time.

This isn't going to be a full sponsor spotlight, just wanted to make a quick introduction of our newest sponsor.

Lance is an outfitter up in Flagstaff and he offers hunts for just about all the big game in AZ. Check out his website for more information: http://www.tlohunting.com/

Amanda

Thanks Amanda!

Merry CHRISTmas!

Lance and Carrie Crowther, and Family!

Lance, congratulations on becoming the newest sponsor on COUESWHITETAIL. I know you already give your time at the coues outtings and it doesn't surprise me that you are giving as a sponsor to help Amanda and all of us to enjoy this site. Thanks Lance to you and the family and Happy Holidays. :)

TJ

After an AWFUL start to my 5B-N archery bull hunt I contacted Amanda for help. She gave me a few ideas including getting help from a professional guide.

With almost NO notice and just back to Tucson from a successful 5B-S client hunt, Jake from Timberland Outfitters answered my distress call. I shared with Jake what a disaster my first week had been and he agreed to help me for a very reasonable fee. He sought and received his spouse's permission to come to my rescue [mind you they have a 2week old new born at home!], repacked his gear and drove from Tucson to meet me in the middle of the woods - exactly on time and target. He brought with him a capable and reliable 4x4 truck as well as a quad to cover as much country as possible in our limited time together.

Jake and Timberland had used a mountain top in 5BN to glass and pattern a high concentration of elk activity moving between 5BN & South. Jake knew the cows were not in full estrus and he asked about the prior week's activities and reviewed my map notes. He advised me about his ideas and plans - and plotted a course of action in short order [i only had a 3days left to hunt]. We visited a waterhole that Jake had glassed that had LOTS of sign, including the only tank I had seen that had wallows.

This tank was almost totally exposed and situated on the end of a huge meadow, with regular vehicle traffic on two sides. Jake's intuition and resourcefulness was RIGHT ON TARGET! He felt that because everyone else had overlooked this tank thinking it was too exposed - he saw opportunity! Although the tank was nearly devoid of any foliage and no one had every tried to build a blind on it - that didnt stop Jake. He got out his shovel and dug a pit blind that we brushed-in. Late that afternoon as the bulls began to light-up, we heard a bugle southwest of our location in 5BS, and a few minutes later that bull was sounding a "charge!" with his cows across the meadow. Jake had given me prior instruction about what to do, then reminded me quickly and quietly about what was about to transpire. My heart POUNDED as this beautiful 320+ bull came to drink and wallow... Jake tried to keep me calm and quietly whispered both instructions and encouragement "you can do this Kurt, I know you can", "focus on the pin... he's 55yards... put the pin on him and get it done, you can do this!". For all his professionalism, instinct and encouragement - my shot was off and off badly! The bull had decided to wallow immediately when he got to the tank and that gave me only an butt-end shot while I shook at full draw. LORD WAS IT EXCITING THOUGH!!! Just like on TV! Afterward Jake took the attention away from my obvious failure to close - to focus on how fantastic that whole experience was! He was still encouraging me and kept saying that we would have other opportunities and we should saver that memory - which I always will!

I used one of Lance's tips the following evening at the same hole to call in a bull that was hovering outside the meadow as shooting light expired. They told me in early rut times - cow calling and bugling can be counter-productive, but for some reason the bulls responded to the thrashing of trees - and it worked!!! A spiked BOLTED into the waterhole within 2 minutes of me thrashing the larger branches inside my blind. I was delighted to pay people who have vastly more knowledge and closing techniques than I do! Jake was professional. predictable, resourceful and understood that I wasn't paying for an elk - I was paying for someone to enhance a memory! Several times during our short time together he'd say "Hey Kurt, this is your hunt - lets make it an adventure you'll remember".

Although he wasnt with me on the last evening of my hunt - Jake's intuition and closing techniques paid off and I only have my poor marksmanship to blame for not bringing home a bull. As the last night kicked off, Jake suggested I run 'n gun the first bull that sounded off in the vicinity of the waterhole - which I did. That bull was not interested in any tree thrashing or cow calls and actually took me far from the blind. When I realized that I was WAY out of position to get into the blind before "happy hour", I hauled butt to get back to the tank. As I neared the meadow I glassed to ensure I didnt spook any in-coming targets and low 'n behold - there was a line of cows at the opposite end of the meadow looking backwards for their boss's permission to charge the tank. With little-to-no cover that meant I had to stay low and move slow to go from bush-to-bush before they got there. It was too late! They ran full bore to quench their thirst. Among his many teaching opportunities - Jake had taken a few minutes to explain a closing technique where-in you allow the animals to get all the way into the tank and settled, then approach stealthy behind the tanks dirt banks - which I did. I had already dropped my pack and was belly-crawling with my bow - when the herd entered the tank, and just like Jake taught me, I crept up the backside of the bank and peaked over to see a handsome bull getting his first drink. They were so focused on their thirst and the Montana decoy that made them more comfortable - I had ample time to range-find the bull [63yrds], draw on him twice before he gave me a good broadside shot... then I flung my arrow.

It sunk deep into his chest and I stopped him just out side the tank with cow calls. I glassed him saw my arrow I got a thrill I will never FORGET - thanks to Jake and Timberland! There wasnt enough time nor immediately noticeable blood to pursue that night, but I was convinced I would have my bull in the morning. I was wrong. Regretfully I tracked a deep red blood trickle for 1/2 mile before it completely stopped and the bull rejoined his cows and conducted more rutting activities that same night. I was in contact with Game and Fish and Jake all day via phone on the best ideas to find my bull and hiked probably 10 miles hoping to find his bod under a tree... but thems with more experience tell me I clearly missed lung and may have hit his liver. I hope and pray he lives - or at least plants lots of seeds before he expires - but the hunt was by no means a failure - THANKS UTTERLY TO JAKE AND TIMBERLAND OUTFITTERS.

You see it is not just about being marched into the woods and placed in front of an animal opportunity... there are teaching moments and sharing of ideas and experiences, allowing you to feel you are a part of the adventure! There's an element of managing a client's expectations that matters most to type-A people like me - otherwise we'd hunt at a petting zoo! If I cant be in charge - then you had better be more capable me and show me the proper respect of advising me about what is happening.

Unlike my archery efforts - Jake and Timberland were EXACTLY ON TARGET and they get my full endorsement and thanks for all they did to salvage what was shaping up to be a very forget-able experience. Thank you as well Amanda for putting me in touch with them! If anyone wants to speak with me to validate what I am saying, send me a PM or Jake and Lance may give my number to anyone who is looking for a professional guide with an intimate knowledge of both and animals and people [like me].

Kurt Larson

Glendale Arizona

Way to go Kurt. I sure wish you would have be able to tag a bull, but your story puts it all into perspective what a hunt should really be like. Everyone gets tied up on the kill and forgets (Myself included) that the experience is what it is all about. It was a true honor to meet you and Ken that evening you stopped in our camp, I really had fun.

You are always welcome with us and in the near future we'll plan a hunt to share some more memories.

PS. Thankyou for the generous comments about my family, it was very thoughtful.

-Ryan

You're too kind, Kurt. Nobody (but you) wanted you to fill that tag more than me! It was a pleasure being in the field with you and I'm so glad that our game plans worked out. As mentioned in other threads, the rut was a little "wierd" this year so adapting was a must! We did just that and definitely had some fun....

I'd also like to mention/thank Steven Ward (Wards Outfitters) for contacted me in helping Kurt out. I think some of the demise of the "guiding" world out there is that sometimes egos get involved and EVERYONE else is only competition. More often than not, that's far from the case and it was refreshing to see another outfitter was on the same page as TLO. I was very glad that I could provide the time to Kurt and end on a "somewhat" happy note.

And more than anything, I'd like to thank the wife who let me help Kurt out with a 5 1/2yr old, 3 1/2yr old and a 2week old at home! Man I've got a good woman!!!