lowyder993s

Southern units and safety

If you value your life, you should never hunt south of Tucson again. I hunted in 36A for the 1st time with my 11y/o son and my hunting buddy during my son's junior hunt, and it was an area that some friends of mine had never seen illegals, just a small amount of trash. Approx 3 hrs into the hunt, we came across one that admitted to being a drug runner, but was alone b/c his group had been ambushed by another drug group a few hours prior. There are worse details than this according to his story, but the blood stains on his clothes and hands pretty much summed it up. Now that the drug running is so common down there, in my opinion it is just not safe. This is definitely not how I wanted to introduce my son to hunting- therefore our 1st experience down there has been our last!

I wrestle with this safety issue. Last year, a friend and I took a ride down to Patagonia, and then up along the Forest Rd. 142. We saw three abandoned trucks and several cars. Two, that I recall, were in a drainage. Now, to the gist-all vehicles had the usual smattering of bullet holes, from plinkers. However, one, a newer model, had bullet pattersn that I recall from being an M-60 gunner in the 80's. I didn't point that out to my friend, who sits on the fence about the whole illegal thing (invasion). Why scare him?

Was that truck in an ambush? We will never know. Why no hunters have been killed can only be attributed to drug runners not needing to, or not wanting to draw attention to themselves via the moronic media.

I pointed out that all the oil and anti-freeze went into the water table, and we drove on. Without any bravado, I report that I was armed with a handgun, but I really wanted a long arm when I saw those bullet patters, which went up and to the left.

In the Silverbells, I have had healthy, big men appraoch me and my vehicle, until I placed my hand back into the driver's side and said "nada." Thye got the message. I accidently left a gallon, and called BP, as they wished. WHO they heck do we meet out there, and what are "reasonable precautions?"

Advice on this site is valuable, and the consensus is "carry a handgun." SO, and to end my post, I would at least carry a Taurus revolver, and speedloader. Thank God Arizona allows a citizen, even when bowhunting, to be armed...that post about the lone illegal with blood chills me. Once you have been shot at, or beat hard, you will never bitch too much about the extra inconvience on your hip.

Correction---bullet holes up and to the right, not left, in the truck, as a recoiling auto-gun tends to do in a right handed owner.

I might spend some time getting the actual damage report on hunters' physical being in the southern units. I will get back. I know that info in other circumstances can simply disappear.

If I get any hard, verifiable data, I'll let us all know.

I definitely think that anyone who is going to hunt down there should carry a sidearm. The fact that myself and my buddy were, made us feel a little safer. However, when you have to put your 11y/o behind you and place your hand on your sidearm while your buddy does the same as a guy like this approaches you, and then as your buddy is talking to him in Spanish- have to quickly survey all the hills around you to check to see who might be watching you.........it is too scary of a situation. I wish all of you well if you do hunt down there.......just be careful and make sure you are packing!

My brother and I put in for 36b this year for the first time in 5 or 6 years, hoping that the illegal traffic and trash had slowed down. It has not slowed down. Plenty of trash, plenty of illegals messing up our hunt and our lands...pisses me off. We have hunted those lands for 25+ years and have seen first hand how the illegals have damaged these previous pristine areas. We don't feel unsafe, we just feel violated. Now, we routinely see 12 to 24 one gallon containers of water, marked with black markers indicating the date and stating 'suerte' (luck) and 'bien venidos' (welcome). These containers are placed on the many well established foot trails by American 'good samaratins". A question for the board...what would you do when you come upon a stack of these water containers?

thx for your replies...my problem is being from out of state, to go learn another area is gonna take some time...vs. just going where i know. That being said...is my life or a beatdown worth it? While in Az, I've met some great people in the field, as you'd expect. Carrying a long arm, I'm not really concerned...its holding only a bow that poses the problem. Even carrying a sidearm is not the be all. It's really too bad the us gov't isn't more proactive on this. I'm sure it reduces the amount of days afield for a number of people. I'll prolly just go back into the 36's, but maybe stay in a motel...it sucks, cuz the nighttime around a mesquite fire is worth more than -1/2 the trip. btw...anyone see what they're doing in Tijuana? These drug guys are killing and decapitating 30-40 people a week. Good luck to all and be safe out there!!!

Why is everyone bringing sidearms down south? What possible protection is that going to give you. I guess it could be useful for eating some lead, so the banditos will not have the pleasure of cutting your eyelids off and staking you on an anthill. Camping in groups? ha! Makes it easier for that Columbian necktie party. Call the border patrol for help? Guess who monitors all transmissions? Might as well walk into Mexico and slit your own throat. Just day hunt? Sure like there are no spy's on Sasabe road. Can you trust that hippy staring at you on Arivaca road? What about I-19? You really want to make it easy for the killers don't you. Remember the minutemen? Don't hear much from them anymore. For $29.95 I will send you a map to their mass grave. Really, if you value life do not set foot in the 36s. If you choose to go, probably no Catholic funeral for you.

Bob

Jeez Bob! Isn't the danger part of the fun of hunting in the 36's? Some of us like to live dangerously... :ph34r:

Why is everyone bringing sidearms down south? What possible protection is that going to give you. I guess it could be useful for eating some lead, so the banditos will not have the pleasure of cutting your eyelids off and staking you on an anthill. Camping in groups? ha! Makes it easier for that Columbian necktie party. Call the border patrol for help? Guess who monitors all transmissions? Might as well walk into Mexico and slit your own throat. Just day hunt? Sure like there are no spy's on Sasabe road. Can you trust that hippy staring at you on Arivaca road? What about I-19? You really want to make it easy for the killers don't you. Remember the minutemen? Don't hear much from them anymore. For $29.95 I will send you a map to their mass grave. Really, if you value life do not set foot in the 36s. If you choose to go, probably no Catholic funeral for you.

Bob

Jeez Bob! Isn't the danger part of the fun of hunting in the 36's? Some of us like to live dangerously... :ph34r:

Bob

I was thinkin maybe he had a honeyhole or somethin ;)

I live close to the base of the huachucas and hunt 35 regularly, compared to last year I havent seen an UDA yet. The trash is still there though, Miller and Hunter Canyon are not as bad as Ash. I was in my tree last night bowhunting for deer and had 5 Javalina come right under me. Either way mostly quiet minus Carr and Ramsey canyons which due to the popularity get alot of traffic. Good Luck

Don't hear much from them anymore. For $29.95 I will send you a map to their mass grave.

36B

But other than that....You get to glass some AWESOME COUES -USA Country!

Go for it- vigilance my friend. :ph34r:

AzP&Y

post-898-1229790711_thumb.jpg

post-898-1229790793_thumb.jpg

Don't hear much from them anymore. For $29.95 I will send you a map to their mass grave.

36B

But other than that....You get to glass some AWESOME COUES -USA Country!

Go for it- vigilance my friend. :ph34r:

AzP&Y

i've found 2 of those in 36b also...that mtn in the background looks like where I go...don't member the name of it.

When I find those full water bottels with dates on them, & I have found many.

I always smash the crap out of them. F#@% THEM, let them drink out of the springs & tanks full of the garbage

& crap they leave behind.

I pour out the water and pack out all of the containers I can fit in my pack. Going to 34B Saturday with the family and some friends to pick up trash. If anyone is interested pm me.

Happy Holidays