K well Ive been thinking more and more about the claw. Right now I have 2 700rc2 heads, and alot of my buddies use them too. Every optic/camera/camcorder I have has a plate that will fit that. If I buy a larger head to accomodate the claw I would like to keep the same plate style. This points me to the 701rc2. Anybody tried this head with the claw. I always prefer to shoot prone off my harris for long stuff, but I would be getting the claw just as much for me, as my buddies who don't like to shoot prone.

Great questions guys. I appreciate everyone's responses and opinions and won't usually chime in unless there are questions that I may be able to help shed some light on.

The most valuable aspect about the Claw system is in its versatility. It very literally can be used in ANY situation under ANY circumstances (at least that is what extensive use has proven nor have we heard from anyone contrary to that claim). I know of no other shooting support that can make that claim. This is HUGE when it comes to not just hunting but killing in my opinion. Having said this, because of its versatility and many different applications and uses there are going to be many different ways that the operator puts it to use and many different opinions as to what tripods are best to utilize it. The great thing is you can cater your equipment selection to your current experience level, hunting style, and financial status (which will vary depending on stage in life).

Taking that in to account I will speak as to some of the equipment recommended or questioned. It is true that heads with a "dovetail, slide in place" plate style (Manfrotto 701/501 HDV, Jim White head, etc) are heads that we recommend if a person is looking to buy a new tripod head. We like these because the dovetail relationship provides for more surface area contact once locked in place and can eliminate some of the micro movement at the plate/head interface. This advantage can mostly be realized when shooting from the standing position when a rear support cannot be obtained. In that case, any reduction in movement can be advantageous at the shot and standing effective range can be extended with a heavy duty, tight tolerance head such as the Manfrotto 501 HDV. However, in the more frequently used sitting position, the plate style is very insignificant. When sitting the shooter can gain a rear support easily in most cases by simply resting the gripping elbow on their elevated knee, such as the case in the traditional sitting position. This is more than adequate in most hunting shots. But BETTER THAN BENCHREST OR PRONE STABILITY can be achieved by placing simple shooting sticks or bipod sticks under the butt of the gun for those that are shooting long range (beyond 600 yds is when I personally like to use an additional rear rest for absolute confidence). Even there, I personally have made and witnessed kill shots standing without a rear support on animals beyond 600yds so it is just a matter of preference. So my point is, one does not need to buy a new head to utilize The Claw. I use to talk people out of buying a Claw when a pistol grip head (with the older, smaller 201 plate) was used until I started getting calls and reports from those same people who had many successes using The Claw off of a pistol grip head and loved it. It all depends on the style of hunting you like to do, the range you intend to shoot at, and the ability to add a rear support when needed that dictates what tripod equipment to use. In my experience with product research and development in controlled and hunting settings along with being privy to customer feedback, The Claw can be very effective with ANY tripod and head set up......even the cheapest "Walmart" tripod available.

Now, once you experience a very tight tolerance large surface area plate system such as the dovetail style, it is very hard to go back to a "cam lock" style whether it be for glassing or shooting which is the experience of those recommending those heads. But that bridge can be crossed when the time comes for a new head, like anything else such as fixing up a truck etc.

Hope this helps guys, thanks.

Hope that helps.

i see

i was under the imprestion that all Manfrotto heads used the same plate. does any one have a pic of the 701/501 HDV style??

There are at least3 different plate styles that I have seen on consumer sized tripod heads. The 501 plate is the best one for Claw use. It slides in and has a much larger bearing surface. Once I tried it, I could not stand to use the Claw without it. If you support the rear, it is not as big of a deal though.

Here are some photos of each:

501 and Camlock style

post-131-1273291407_thumb.jpg

501 plate

post-131-1273291415_thumb.jpg

plates next to Claw and 501 mounted on Claw

post-131-1273291424_thumb.jpg

another perspective of plates for comparison

post-131-1273291433_thumb.jpg

Two tripods with both style heads

post-131-1273291447_thumb.jpg

I hope this was helpful. The 501 head is real heavy and the 701HDV is heavier than some of the heads that use the camlock style plate but man is the 701/501 style smooth.

that plate is huge in comparison. i should have read this 2 weeks ago. i just bought my 128rc. with a vortex high country tripod, 20-60 nomad with an adapter for my vipers. im very impressed with the fluidity of the 128 but i could see how the smaller plate could be steady with binos or a spotter but a little shaky with 10lbs rifle on it. but it i decide to get the claw you may find a 128rc in the classified section.

thanks for the info.

Don't get rid of your 128, when I am scouting, i don't carry the 701 since I know I wont be shooting. The ball head is much lighter and more convenient when I don't have a rifle with me. The Claw is still a big improvement over nothing even with the lesser heads. If you have a spring loaded head such as the pistol grip ones, good luck. All my buddies that have them have retired them. Once the springs get worn it, the optics creep constantly. I can't imagine what a 48" long rifle would do with it!

now that i think about it ill keep it either way, cause its on a light weight tripod my whole set up is geared toward backpacking. but the 128rc is not a ball head. its a fluid pan head. i still have the ball head that came with the tripod. its seems like a very good ball head but not ideal for glassing.

Thanks for choosing the Outdoorsmans!

Huntin' AZ: Bob Foulkrod uses the Outdoorsmans Tripod and Rifle Rest on his Gore-Tex Outdoor Adventures Show. It is the same one that Condor referred to in his post. Good eye!

i picked up my claw today. i played with it a little in the back yard. i dig it. i should be able to do some shooting next week end. so we'll see.

I bought the claw from Mr. Jim White for use with Catch a Dream hunters. It was a must for one young man on his elk hunt. He is a quadriplegic and could not hold the rifle up. The Claw worked great for him it took a little time to set up do to the wheelchair and the tri pod that I used. I have now since built a pod that will clamp onto the chair. I strongly think that without the use of the Claw and alot of help from the lord we would not have been sucessful on this hunt.

P.S. DO NOT CLAMP IT ON YOUR WINDOW EVEN A 243 WILL BREAK IT LOL

Ty W Hart

post-90-1276874408_thumb.jpg

post-90-1276874615_thumb.jpg

Hunter of the year right there!!!!!!!!!! That is so awesome. Puts a smile on my face. Thanks for sharing the story. Not to be cliche, but that right there is what it is all about!

I bought the claw from Mr. Jim White for use with Catch a Dream hunters. It was a must for one young man on his elk hunt. He is a quadriplegic and could not hold the rifle up. The Claw worked great for him it took a little time to set up do to the wheelchair and the tri pod that I used. I have now since built a pod that will clamp onto the chair. I strongly think that without the use of the Claw and alot of help from the lord we would not have been sucessful on this hunt.

P.S. DO NOT CLAMP IT ON YOUR WINDOW EVEN A 243 WILL BREAK IT LOL

Ty W Hart

That right there is awesome. Congrats on the elk. I luv the claw and wouldnt leave home without it.