az4life

Tikka T3 Lite misfire?

I ask because my new T3 lite in .243 gave me a misfire on Christmas eve. Drawing down on an antelope I was shooting with my sister in law, and my tikka just went "CLICK". The Safety was off and bolt fully locked. Since we both had tags, I pulled the trigger after she shot at hers and I drew the blank.

Anyway, I racked another in but the goats were moving so my shot was off. They flew the field, so I looked at the problem round and noted the round had a faint mark where the firing pin actually did hit the primer but MUCH lighter than normal.

I was shooting federal premium factory load ammo and had fired 2 times about an hour earlier. The gun has less than 15 rounds through it so I was very surprised. I googled Tikka and Misfire and got very little to go on. A couple notes of low temperatures maybe giving a proble with over lubricated bolts or a weak spring but this is just as factory new. I did fire one more round before dark but no problems with that one.

Any thoughts.

I'm sorry that you had that happen during a hunting situation. Ultimately a rifle has one thing to do at that is go "Boom" when you pull the trigger. Although I've never had that happen to me, as a Tikka owner, I am disappointed. Mine really likes Federal Premium ammo too. And although it's probably hoping against hope, especially with good factory ammo, is there any chance it was a bad primer? I don't know how you would test for that to rule that out. Someone here probably does though.

great i just bought one i have not fired it yet but i dont like to here that . hopefully it was the ammo and not the gun

A friend of mine was at the range and had 3 rounds out of 11 go click. Check the primer and make sure it wasn't set too deep. Hornady has had a problem with that.

Linehand,

Which one did you buy?

Mike

Sorry to here you had a miss fire :huh: I also own one of these guns and love it 7 mag and have shot about 3 boxes though it with no problems. I have been told to take the bolt apart and clean, replace with a high quality grease which I did when I first bought it.

I have a friend that has a model 7 Remington which it sometimes won't reset the firing spring, the only way he's been able to make it work is to set the safety and run the bolt back and forth? :blink:

what kinda dent did it put in the primer? sounds to me like a bad primer more than a weak firing pin. any primer can be bad, even factory loads. i bought a couple thousand winchester magnum primers a couple years ago and finally quit usin' em because of so many misfires. in every rifle i loaded em in. went to nothing but cci's and have had no problems. if it put a decent dent in the primer, i'd say that was the problem. another thing to try is to just open and close the bolt and see if it will go off the second time. i know that ain't what a guy would do shooting at game, but if you still have the round, try it again. 2 years in a row i tracked down bucks and jumped em up and had to shoot offhand at em running. both times the first round failed. i killed em both with following shots, but it sure ticked me off when it happened. i have a buncha loaded rounds now that are just for the range. Lark.