ultramag

early coues hunt in 23

the game and fish is seeking comments for an early season coues deer hunt in unit 23.What do you guys think of this.I read this but what they dont say is how many tags.And the effect of trophy quality........what do you think?I kinda like it but i dont want to see quality go down.

That figures. They choose un it 23!

I have it on good authority, that there are no deer of any kind in unit 23!

No freaking way! The beauty of the central AZ units is that there are no Oct/November hunts.

Maybe if they only had one 4 day hunt and rotated it on a yearly basis through several different units, (22,23,24), it might not be so bad, but I would still be reluctant. Deer numbers are near all time lows and they want to add more hunts?

There are two simple reasons for an added hunt in unit 23:

#1. The Game Dept administrators are doing their job of running a game research, management and law inforcement buisness which requires money. They're looking for more funds.

#2. The Game Dept customers - we hunters - tend to complain alot about not getting drawn enough to our own satisfaction.

So, if you were a Game and Fish administrator and were faced with the above mentioned 2 points, what would you do?

That's right, find a place that another hunt can be squeezed into.

The wildlife managers (wardens) work with these administrators to keep the quality in their units. The Dept has wanted to add these extra hunts for years. The managers have succesfully fought them off for years.

I think it is not a good idea. I don't believe the central units can handle the added pressure as well as the southern units have. I will voice my opinion against it.

I thank the Dept for allowing us a voice in the decision.

Mike

I'm against it, there just isn't enough deer right now for another hunt. The only way I can see the G&F making hunters satisfied in getting drawn is by dividing the December hunt. I don't like that either though.

I'll make sure and tell them my thoughts. This is nutty.

Maybe a hunter could be eligible for an early tag in these units after and only after they had killed a lion and half a dozen coyotes in that same unit the year prior to getting a deer tag. Not sure that would help the population enough to justify another hunt.

I agree that the numbers couldn't handle an early hunt without cutting permits in the quality late hunt. Might even see over the counter archery tags go to the draw, so they could limit that hunt to.

Bad deal!

Tonto

I would be all for a early hunt in 23. I don't think it would hurt the population very much. Plus the less tags in the late hunt the better. Just too many hunters during that hunt. Just a FYI when the game and fish came out with the late hunt no one wanted to hunt it.

The addition of the early hunt offers more total hunting opportunity for the good sportsmen of the state of arizona. The goal in Unit 23 will be and has always been to harvest a certain number of bucks on an annual basis (harvest objective). The only difference will be that it will be achieved through the combined harvest of an early hunt and a late hunt, versus solely a late hunt. The game and fish is not planning on hammering this resource. They are providing more hunter opportunity, and yes, of course, making a few extra bucks. You gotta consider that they also have to pay for increased operating costs such as gas for fleet vehicles, insurance, overhead costs, etc. etc. etc. The harvest objective will probably be about the same. This can be increased in response and in line with increases in population, and that usually doesn't happen in one year, like with quail. It takes time.

Secondly, I believe the muzzleloader hunt in unit 24A in 2004 was for mule deer. This hunt is part of a rotation of alternative hunt structures within the central units. You can figure this out by tracking the history of muzzleloadeer and jr. hunts within region 6 over the last several years. The mule deer harvest objective is the goal for 24A, just like whitetail in unit 23. For example, say the unit manager wanted to harvest 100 mule deer bucks in 2004. Would it make any difference biologically if 100 mule deer bucks were killed solely by rifle hunters, or if 40 were killed by rifle hunters and muzzleloader hunters killed 40 and archers killed 20 for a total of 100? No. A buck, is a buck, is a buck. The goal is to come close to the harvest objective. 23 and 24A don't exist in a vacuum, just like any other unit......there are many factors to consider when doing this stuff, not the least of which is competition for tags between weapons types. The overall decision to distribute tags in an equitable fashion among different weapon types for a species within a unit boils down to application rates by weapon type, (demand), success rates of weapon types etc.

I personally wish 23 wouldn't have a stratified structure cause I like the late hunt and it decreases my chances of obtaining a tag. However, if this change provides more hunters the opportunity to hunt deer overall. I can live with that for the good of the order. It's not all about me. Secondly and more importantly, that Rembrandt fella killed the last decent buck in unit 23 in december.

Couesi1

Dang Couseri 1, judging by that last articulate post, I'm starting to think that you might be a fairly inteligent guy - or did you have someone write that for you?

I would sure hope that the Dept won't hammer the quality in a unit for a few more bucks (dollars, I mean).

And thanks for giving me credit for killing the last known buck in Unit 23. I didn't think anybody cared!

Mike

Rembrandt,

thanks,

I wish i was intelegant, but as yuo can c, I are not reeely. The udder nite my wiife waz tranzllating n' tiping evreething 4 me, as i espresssed mi thots. She was knot hear toniite, so I amm bak to reeealliteee.

Couesi1

So then,

How is it that you can correctly spell Rembrandt and I can't??

Mike

Ultramag,

Look on rifle page 47 (I think).

I'm the really, really handsome guy holding a 90 class deer.

Was wanting a 100 incher. Thought I shot one - I never can judge them little suckers!!!! That OK, I'd shoot 'em again.

Besides, he's the only deer in the whole dang unit!

Mike