Sign in to follow this  
CrazzyJ

36B Finally after 9 years !! Dec hunt- pointers?

Good day Fellow hunters.  New here.....with gratitude like few have had.  Took what seems to be about a decade to get this tag.....started the quest in my early 40's...now in my 50's (just for this tag).

From Idaho (lived here almost my entire life).  I am old school......after a decent respectable Coues.  Got my 30+" Mule Deer, a decent 6x7 Whitetail (up north Idaho near Canadian border) and a nice respectable 25" Blacktail in central California....but need to close this quest/chapter of my life and trust me I have been waiting.  Few understand it.....heck I may even be NUTZ, but this was my crack at hunting our great lower 48 in my life.  I got the credit card notice and hardly couldn't believe it.  FINALLY!!  Yes, I can glass like a fool..... Yes, I can hike miles in steep country... and yes, I can pack (still Bow hunting Elk and get one every single year).  I cannot afford the opportunity to blow this hunt as you could imagine.  9 more years and I'll be lucky to hunt at all.  I've lived hard like most of you...and that's why you do this.  You see, its you vs nature....and I get it...fully.  At any rate.  I could use some help.  Hunts Dec 15-31.  Pointers to general spots would be honestly appreciated.  Again, not after the biggest buck on the hill.....I'll leave that to the generations that I pray don't videogame their life away...rather feed themselves with satisfaction of hunting and gathering in the hills, friendships built on hunting teamwork, and possibly a great Dad that taught a thing or two..   Lets do this!  Blake

• Like 8

You can find deer almost anywhere in the entire unit.

Find high points away from major roads (there are a lot of roads) that you feel you can get to quietly and without sky lining yourself and start glassing.

Expect to see a lot of hunters...not necessarily rifle whitetail hunters but bird hunters, archery deer hunters, etc...and lots of UTV/ATV's on the weekends. 

It will be fairly peaceful during the week.

That's my experience anyway.

• Like 1

I had it last year, we went 1/3 on a small buck. I didn’t see anything I was interested in. Like others mentioned it’s unusually crowded due to the archers

the thing about 36B is its big, but you can also move around quite a bit w/out costing you a ton of time. So i would be nimble and move a bunch if you are not seeing what you want, so that means a 200 yard shift but maybe drive 5-15 miles. The whitetail are top to bottom and everywhere. Depending on weather that last 7 days of the season should be better for rut action, but personally think they rut better when the weather is cooler or post a cold spell. Good luck